Discuss New fluke has arrived. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Devonchris

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi.
Just an update. I got the 177 combi kit together with the 323 clamp meter.

Not much I can say about it that you guys don't already know so I'll just say it's lovely.

After playing with it and feeling all enthusiastic I thought I'll put that new light up in the bathroom that "she who must be obeyed" has been going on about. As she was going out for the afternoon, I thought it would be a nice surprise for her.

First safe isolation. Proved the Fluke In a socket. Checked the light all on. Switched off at main, just to be safe. Locked off switch, put key in pocket (only me in the house but just in case I decide to have a nap half way through then wake up and forget what I'm doing.) checked the light again. All off. Then realised I don't have a proving unit (more expense round the corner). After scratching my head for a while, I thought I'll pop next door to our friendly neighbour Dorris. Dorris had no problem with me proving with one of her sockets but was keen to see the new light so she came round to see what I was doing.

She was not very impressed with the board propped on a chair and side of the bath so I could reach the fitting. More so when I slipped off and ripped my trousers on the side of the board. I thought I would be in big trouble now with SWMBO but Dorris offered to take them home and mend them when we had done. So with fresh trousers we got on with the job. With Dorris holding the board on the bath it was much safer.

I showed her my new knipex cutters and how easy it was to get the insulation off with the little hole in the blades. She held the wire while I used the cutters then I let her have a go. She said "I bet those are expensive, it's nice when your retired and are able to spend a bob or two on what you want.

The new light was heavier than the old one and the screws into the plasterboard would not hold it. After giving it some thought I came up with the idea of making the hole where the wire comes out bigger so I could slide a bit of 2x1 up above and screw into that. By now it was getting a bit dark, no natural light in there, so with Dorris holding the door open and a bit of trial and error I finally managed it. Dorris was impressed with the job and thought others in the village might be glad of someone to do electric work.

When SWMBO came home she said "your looking pleased with yourself what have you been up to". I said " well I planned a surprise for you but first I had to ask Dorris if I could slip my fluke in her socket". She said "knowing you if you managed that then it was a fluke". I said "Dorris offered to help when she realised that the erection I had would never do the job, but once she got hold of it it was much firmer".

We helped each other to strip and she complemented me on my tool. She said "it was nice that I was able to splash out on it" after a bit of fumbling about, with help from Dorris, I managed to find the hole and slipped the wood in. When I'd finished screwing Dorris said "well I'm satisfied with that. Perhaps there are others in the village that you could satisfy".

SWMBO has not spoken since and is just giving me a frosty stare. I can't think why I thought she would be pleased. Looks like I'm going to have to make my own meal. Fray Bentos pie I think. Nice and easy. Wait a minute, the ovens not working. Check fuses. ----, now where did I put that key?

You guy are right, diy electricity is fraught with danger.

New dishwasher coming Tuesday so decide to disconnect the pipes on the old one and tie them up at the back. Remove drain pipe from below the sink and drain two months worth of stagnant water into a bowl. Pull out, tie cable and pipes to back, job done. Get bowl of reeking water and tip down sink forgetting I had not bunged up where I took the drain pipe from and the whole lot hosed directly onto the socket:sob:

Reply to New fluke has arrived. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net