Discuss New Gas meter fitted at factory - Earth Bonding Q in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just has a new gas meter fitted at our factory.

Was left an advice notice that there was no earth bond within 600mm of meter outlet.

The problem with this is the meter is 20 meters away from the building in a little 1970s hut all on its own with a paved parking area in between. The pipework is 50mm steel with yellow plastic covering.

How the heck I am supposed to get that bonded?
(And anyway I thought bonding was at point of entry to the building?)

Sorry if this is a repeatish thread but I could not find quite the same example and guess not many have the meter as remote as this from the property.
Advice appreciated as always, thankyou.

You right Gas pipe should be bonded were it enters the building Its Reg 544.1.2 in the green regs book sorry don't have the yellow one to hand

Last edited:
quick replies - thanks folks.

That's the point though - it is bonded with 10mm where it enters the building which I thought was correct.
But the Transco chap (or whoever it was that changed the meter) left a Warning/Advice Notice stating "No earth bond within 600mm of meter outlet".

Technically it is an extraneous conductive part as it is a metal pipe.

Am I right to consider that as most meters are within/on the building wall that the meter chap is just expecting to see an earth bond there close to the meter, and in this case he is in error re the bonding which in this case is distant from the meter but is present where the pipe enters the building.

it's because BG like to bond to the meter, even if it's in next door's outside bog. they should read wiring regs instead of the daily mirror. you're right. he's wrong.

haha.

Bit small for an outside khazi, maybe for dwarves, but point taken - thanks.

Didn't want to get this wrong in case was different for factories instead of residential.

(reminds me of the time I put a new boiler in my house and got a gas safe bloke out to certify it, showed him the calcs I had done to make sure the pressure drop was okay for the regs. He thought I was utterly mad and had "never seen anyone do that before", just did a static leak test (no dynamic pressure drop test like he was supposed to) and b*ggered off with rather more £££ than I thought he was worth!

That's the point though - it is bonded with 10mm where it enters the building which I thought was correct.
But the Transco chap (or whoever it was that changed the meter) left a Warning/Advice Notice stating "No earth bond within 600mm of meter outlet".

Am I right to consider that as most meters are within/on the building wall that the meter chap is just expecting to see an earth bond there close to the meter, and in this case he is in error re the bonding which in this case is distant from the meter but is present where the pipe enters the building.

Which demonstrates that his knowledge is poor BUT at least its highlighted as an issue for somebody to resolve.

Maybe the OP should get BG to quote and see what shyte they come up with....

just a jobs worth know it all gimp

Hi all,

Just has a new gas meter fitted at our factory.

Was left an advice notice that there was no earth bond within 600mm of meter outlet.

The problem with this is the meter is 20 meters away from the building in a little 1970s hut all on its own with a pavedparkingarea in between. The pipework is 50mm steel with yellow plastic covering.

How the heck I am supposed to get that bonded?
(And anyway I thought bonding was at point of entry to the building?)

Sorry if this is a repeatish thread but I could not find quite the same example and guess not many have the meter as remote as this from the property.
Advice appreciated as always, thankyou.

Just a thought....are there any electrics in this little 1970's hut?

Reply to New Gas meter fitted at factory - Earth Bonding Q in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock