Discuss New house wiring ideas in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all, bought a new house a few months back, recently finished gutting it and am now looking to rewire. The usual wiring will be installed (power and lighting), I'm planning on having speakers in all rooms, and am taking cat5 and RG6 to every room so i can watch HD television and listen to music in all rooms. Just wondering if anybody had any ideas on anything else which would be a nice feature? Lighting in the staircase and plinths in the kitchen is also an option. Any constructive comments would be much appreciated as I've been out of the house wiring game a long time now and am not up to date with the latest gadgets etc.Thanks Lee

Our flood light (no PIR) for the rear garden is on a 2 way arrangement - 1 by the rear door and the other is in our bedroom (over looking the garden) - really useful.

The loft light is off the boiler circuit so if required, I can work on the upstairs lights and have the loft light on.

Plan for PV - run a suitable cable from the loft to the CU.

Outside sockets front and rear on own circuit so you can switch off the xmas lights easily!

EDIT: RCBO board

Provision for PV, an electric car charging point and shed
Decent wired fire alarm
LED lighting from the off

Data options everyone else has said :)

...How about a Halon fire-fighting system,mounted above the DB,so you can save a few quid and fit a plastic one...:conehead:

...Banning things just makes them slightly harder to get,and a LOT more desirable...which is the reason i prize so highly,my ivory-handled crimps in their panda-skin case :bobby:

Wire up each bedroom with their own circuit then when the kids are being a pain or on computers all day you can turn the circuit to the bedrooms off individually.

I thought Halon was banned as being a CFC.

I don't think it is banned, as we try and use it for our rally cars, it is the only thing that will put out the flames! We are allowed to carry it, but it is illegal to discharge it.

But if your car is going up in flames, a litre of halon will do far less damage to the environment than a car burning out!!!

run all cat5e to a central location (preferably with conduit) then run a cat6 to where the master phone socket is going to be, for when you get fibre (unless you want to joint it and move point)

bt are testing 500mbp/s this year.

the problem with wireless isnt the speed its the interference

Yeah I'd actually planned on taking the feeds to the switches. And have a sort of hub room that all my RG6/Cat5/speaker cabling goes back to

Then more fool you!!

If you need or want a neutral at the switch positions, then use 3 core T&E for your switch drops!! Switch looping means 3 T&E cables at each switch position and that number escalates as that switch position is used to control different locations or series of light positions. (eg, multi gang switches, two way, intermediate switching)!! That's without factoring in the extra cable this switch looping system will need... Bonkers!!

Wire up each bedroom with their own circuit then when the kids are being a pain or on computers all day you can turn the circuit to the bedrooms off individually.
and occupancy detectors for lights in bedroom and bathroom.

and steel cu to stop the house burning down.

Then more fool you!!

If you need or want a neutral at the switch positions, then use 3 core T&E for your switch drops!! Switch looping means 3 T&E cables at each switch position and that number escalates as that switch position is used to control different locations or series of light positions. (eg, multi gang switches, two way, intermediate switching)!! That's without factoring in the extra cable this switch looping system will need... Bonkers!!

Better than having 3 cables at the light, less time up a ladder, no extra hidden jbs and more chance of cable fitting in the light fitting too.

Reply to New house wiring ideas in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net