Discuss New Job with a new problem - electronic ear defenders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

Inteificio

Firstly I am glad to say I am back in work as an engineer WOOO!!!!!!

Kinda happy about that.

Am needing some new ear defenders, and someone must have come across a pair.

One of the factories I work in is noisy, not hugely, but enough that ear defenders are a good idea if in there for more than a few mins.

Only issue is I have CPD, basically if there is background noise I have much more difficulty than most in understanding people.

Then I had a thought, surely it would not be hard to design ear defenders with a microprocessor that amplifies frequencies 300-3000hz (speech), but either does not amplify, or even actively cancels any other frequency.

Surely there must be a product on the market like that?

Unfortunately there are tons of products on the market that cut out all noise when it gets to loud.
Those would be ideal for people who like shooting (which seems to be a target market for them), but not for people like me.

My place is continually loud, I just want a filter to knock out specific frequencies!

Any suggestions?

To get the correct set you need to know the average and peak noise levels in the work place. From this you can deduce the attenuation level required of the ear defenders......Peltor are one of the better makes.....

A friend of mine is in a band and he bought something that your describing. Cost him £150, I know because I loaned him the money for them. May be worth searching the net under musical ear defenders?

I had a set of peltor digital ear defenders in navy!! They were on a mag loop system. Quite often I would attach my mini disc player to them and listen to both engine room broadcast and music!!

Worked airside at an airport a few years back and ear defenders issued cut out the jet engines but you could still here normal speech.

Active Noise Reduction (ANR), did a quick search, and seems the prices are down from £1000's when I first came across them in Armoured vehicles.....

As above Peltor and Racal are the best models on the market, however, Toolstation sell the Silverline electronic ear defenders which I use for the dirty jobs (my Peltors for the clean ones), they work exceptionally well at a remarkably cheap price <£20, Toolstation Catalogue Number 83831, and at the price can be thrown away and replaced cheaply if they become damaged or can't be cleaned.

Toolstation > Workwear > Face & Ear Protection > Electronic Ear Defenders

Hi Markie,

That was one pair that interested me, but the description was too vague to deduce their function.

It says they knock off at 80db completely, but what do they do at lower volumes?

Do these make it easier to have a conversation in a noisy room?

CPD- Compulsory professional development???

I have some moulded in ear defenders, these were for motorbike riding but they make them for industry also, they are tuned for purpose, I get disoriented if all noise is cut out. So they have an attenuated hole through them which is designed to let through enough sound. I don't ride the motorbike any more but use them when I'm at work, they're a million times better than ear defenders.

Earplugs | Quality Ear Plugs | Free Delivery Available from Earplugs.co.uk

This sort of thing.

Hi Markie,

That was one pair that interested me, but the description was too vague to deduce their function.

It says they knock off at 80db completely, but what do they do at lower volumes?

Do these make it easier to have a conversation in a noisy room?

Yes, conversation in the absence of noise >85dB, is audible as if you were not wearing ear defenders at all, this makes conversation far easier and natural than when wearing passive ear protection. At the price just buy a pair mate, honestly, you will astounded by their performance and wonder why you struggled with passive protection in the past.

Just ordered one online, seems like it might be exactly what I was looking for.

It lists different sound damping at different frequencies, so they have thought about that at least.

Apologies that I've only just seen this thread! Yes, noise cancelling headphones / defenders work on the principle that if you record the ambient noise around you, then invert the signal and produce it within the headphone you get cancellation - so for example if you had a value of '25' at 100Hz, by then producing a level of -25 by phase reversal, put the two together and you obviously get zero. But, add in some modern digital algorithms that recognise speech, and that can be put through as normal.

The security guys we use in the 'pit' in front of stages wear them all the time - they can hear each other through mics clearly but the background noise gets dialled out.

My next project is to mod a bluetooth reciever in to this.

They don't allow music players, however how would they know that music is being trasmitted wirelessly =-)

Reply to New Job with a new problem - electronic ear defenders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock