Discuss New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matttytn2

i have just had a new kitchen fitted.

i was advised that the electrics that were there for my existing cooker (all in one electric inc hobs) and extractor fan were no good and that i will need have a new feed put in from the fuse box. i am confused it all was / seemed fine before and the fuse box has a swich for the cooker and that all worked fine. any way the did the following...

installed a earth (my house didnt have one)
extension of cooker circuit, new supply for kitchen sockets and spurs
new supply for extractor fan
bonding where required
new 16 amp breaker

materuaks and labour £550
extras socket face plates and cooker isolator £60

£610.

I don't think it sounds like you got ripped off, no.

well if the earthing and bonding arrangements needed upgrading/putting in....then....look,...we have to ensure that both earthing and bonding arrangements meet the current edition of the regs BEFORE doing any work at a property/install.......

Without seeing the installing electrician's pre job tests it's really hard to say. It could have been that the new cooker represented amuch higher load than the old one and the existing cable was not capable of carrying the current demanded by the new unit. If the existing cable wasn't up to snuff then chances are the accessories wern't either.
The reason it all seemed fine before is, with all due respect, you are not an electrician and therefore don't have the required knowledge and skill to make an educated judgment on this. However, asking these questions is the right thing to do rather than blindly accepting this and moving on, how did you come across the person who carried out the work? Was it a random name from your local paper or someone you or a friend/family member has used in the past. If it's the latter I'd say the guy is unlikely to risk his reputation by stiffing you, if it's the former then you could have just been a victim but there's no real way of telling.
To be honest the sum does seem a little high but that's me talking from the north east while you could be in the south where prices are higher, some idea of your location would help others comment more accurately than I could

and what board was here n all....hmm....dont tell me....an old "wylex" rewireable type (BS3036)....if so then no RCD protection was on offer so they will have had to either put in a sub board fed iff a spare way from this old board ...or put in an "add on board".....using henley/s etc.....either way,...in order for there work to comply with the current regs (17th edition)......

sounds about right to me, if anything if your house did not have an earth i would think the installation was of an older design so could well have had a few items that restricted alterations to take place without the extra work you did not expect.

sounds about right to me, if anything if your house did not have an earth i would think the installation was of an older design so could well have had a few items that restricted alterations to take place without the extra work you did not expect.
yes well it all sounds like jaw-dropping stuff to the electrically unaware.....the usual words ring out.."well it all worked ok before"......but that don`t make it compliant though does it....at best a 4 .........at worst.....lol.....

Well call me cynical but the more i read this one....the more i think the o/p was just trying to get hold of ammo to fire at the electrical installer/contractor who did this work to try and drive the price down.......that winter break looks nice n all that.....if you have had work done that complies and is to a good standard (a reasonable expectation) and you agreed a price..........then alls well......

thanks so much for your reply, concluding my thoughts just wanted a public opinion, i do no didley about house electrics and appreciate its for safety and to meet certain reg's

visible differences to me on this work is a earth lead coming out my house in to the electric meter box
a thick black shielded power cable from fuse box to cooker / oven area a new fuse in the fuse box rated 400v and labelled extractor hood and 2x sockets and a junction box in the wall hidden behind the extractor hood

All i can get from the old fuse box is its got wickes on it and MK on it and MK on the main breaker switch this switch has LN5780 on it. its defiantly and old fuse box :(

my friend did the kitchen and the electrician was his partner he uses for all his jobs. i trust my friend not to rip me off.

thanks so much for your reply, concluding my thoughts just wanted a public opinion, i do no didley about house electrics and appreciate its for safety and to meet certain reg's

visible differences to me on this work is a earth lead coming out my house in to the electric meter box
a thick black shielded power cable from fuse box to cooker / oven area a new fuse in the fuse box rated 400v and labelled extractor hood and 2x sockets and a junction box in the wall hidden behind the extractor hood

All i can get from the old fuse box is its got wickes on it and MK on it and MK on the main breaker switch this switch has LN5780 on it. its defiantly and old fuse box :(

my friend did the kitchen and the electrician was his partner he uses for all his jobs. i trust my friend not to rip me off.

So if you trust your friends not to rip you off why is your posted entitled "was I ripped off"

Certificates?

my invoice says issue of certificate on it; i have no certificate to date so can not yet advise what i was given. i am looking for no money bartering ammo i have already paid in full i just want to know if it all sound reasonable on the price front so i can save him for future work

so is this new work RCD protected....the installer should have given you a demo of how this device works (how to reset etc) before handover.....

Certificates should be issued on completion of a job. Obviously it's impractical to expect them immediately after the spark closes the toolbox but in your position I would be expecting them within a week.
If this happens and you're happy with the work/price/our opinions on it then save him for the future, if not bin him:)

3rd member to ask.....did you recieve paperwork/certs for this work carried out in your property?.....it will give us all in here a clearer view ......you havn`t come in here and posted/asked for knowt.......

Reply to New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock