Discuss New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

You guys are worse than a sewing circle. There might be nothing wrong with the installation and the certificates might arrive as promised.

....is it not wise for the op to check to see whether this guy is a member of a CPS?
Agreed or she should definitely follow up and get the certificates at least.

My worry was she'll be too busy because she's looking for alternative accommodation after reading the thread. :)

Agreed or she should definitely follow up and get the certificates at least.

My worry was she'll be too busy because she's looking for alternative accommodation after reading the thread. :)
well there is that earthing....and bonding.....i mean is it up to the 17th edition....like you say Marvo....we dont know whats gone on here (apart from what the o/p has told us)......could be knowt wrong as you say....but some pics would help....as others have posted......

One thing you could do, to put your mind at rest, is google the "competent persons" website, and look up the individual who did the electrics. Such work in a kitchen is covered by Part P and the individual is required to be registered with a scheme.

if he's had a part p'er in then he should worry..

Its all supposition
Someone has come on here to check on the cost, they are clueless about electrical installation
Their description could paint a picasso as a childs scribble or a childs scribble as a picasso

I defer judgement until photographic evidence is submitted m'lord
icon4.png
icon7.png

So, the vultures gather looking for an easy meal. But from where I'm sat, I can't actually see a dead animal. Not even one with a limp, at the moment.

Come on guys, this is getting stupid. OP suggests a list of work and seems to pay a fair price, list of work done suggests knowledge of what should be installed to meet regs, etc.

Ooh, but a black cable, you cry. So what? Has anyone stopped to ask if it's been surface clipped for some reason? Or stopped to consider that it might have been done as an alternative to needing to fit an RCD even.

Yes, the OP should check the electricians credentials and that he'll be getting the Part P paperwork, but to suggest more than that based purely on syniscm and tutting just gets us ALL a bad name.

i am just checking to learn more i would like to understand what i have spent my money on, i think that's fair. in addition i am turning my garage in to a room and that needs all the electrics re fitting so will line up the same electrician as i dont know anyone who does electrics near me.

So, the vultures gather looking for an easy meal. But from where I'm sat, I can't actually see a dead animal. Not even one with a limp, at the moment.

Come on guys, this is getting stupid. OP suggests a list of work and seems to pay a fair price, list of work done suggests knowledge of what should be installed to meet regs, etc.

Ooh, but a black cable, you cry. So what? Has anyone stopped to ask if it's been surface clipped for some reason? Or stopped to consider that it might have been done as an alternative to needing to fit an RCD even.

Yes, the OP should check the electricians credentials and that he'll be getting the Part P paperwork, but to suggest more than that based purely on syniscm and tutting just gets us ALL a bad name.

:iagree:

i have just had a new kitchen fitted.

i was advised that the electrics that were there for my existing cooker (all in one electric inc hobs) and extractor fan were no good and that i will need have a new feed put in from the fuse box. i am confused it all was / seemed fine before and the fuse box has a swich for the cooker and that all worked fine. any way the did the following...

installed a earth (my house didnt have one)
extension of cooker circuit, new supply for kitchen sockets and spurs
new supply for extractor fan
bonding where required
new 16 amp breaker

materuaks and labour £550
extras socket face plates and cooker isolator £60

£610.

I may be wrong here Matty but to be honest what you posted does not seem to add up, he advised you that the existing cooker circuit was not suitable as you say, but in fact has only "extended" the circuit, which leads me to believe that the circuit is not a new one but just an extended one.

That Black cable (your post #11) is telling us that it is just "going into the cooker/oven area" with a new fuse in the fuse board, this sounds to me like he as run a distribution circuit from your existing fuse board into the kitchen, so do you have a newer/extra fuse board now in your kitchen or sited next to your old one?

Bottom line to this is communication by the sounds of things. Of course your not expected to be technically minded or even technically aware, that is the electricians job. When I take my car into a garage I expect the mechanics to be that. But you need to open communications with this guy, especially before the work starts, to get an understanding of what needs to be done and what you want done.

Give the guy a ring, ask him when is the certificate is coming, if your in England or Wales ask him also did he inform the Local Building Office at the council of this work, or is he a member of a Part P scheme, if he hangs up I'm afraid you may be waiting a long time for these certificates. If he is genuine then he will explain all to you. My advice would be talk to him and sort this out.

Obviously if there is a problem you have legal avenues you can go down, ie trading standards if he as not done the job he quoted for, ie certificate etc etc.

Matty

Post your location, there are a lot of good sparkies on here who could help you out with any future work

i am in northampton / silverstone. anyone free for a 2nd opibion i have noticed some other bits that look well wrong to me let alone a pro so need then looking at also a indipendant check on this work i have had done would be fantastic. being new i may not get pm's yet

Reply to New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net