Discuss New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ringer - please let me have some advance warning if I need to go and put some humble pie in the fridge for eating at a later date!! ;)

Probably not ripped off looking at what you had done, but as long as i've a hole in my backside, it sound like a cheap, rushed bodge kind of a job.

Even the large big name kitchens companies do it, worked along side one of their fitters and when he would show me what wanted doing and how much they had allowed for the work to be done, it always got bodged. Not by me may I add lol

no await certs. just have an invoice

Well go on then, they ripped you off!

No certs because he wouldn't know how to test and wouldn't have the gear to do it, I bet.

How the hell do you know its all safe and sound without any test results. If it were my mate I'd be having serious words with him!

Last edited:
well it cant be as bad as this place we were in today....small victorian place on 3 floors....typical of the area......well the owner had new windows installed some time ago on the 1st and 2nd floors......where did the old window frames and broken glass go......hidden under the floorboards in the bedrooms..lol.....all because they couldn`t be arsed to get a skip....so they just hid it all....took my boss n i about an hour to pull all that out..ffs.....:evil2:

its my suspicion...what with the lack of certs etc that it could be a bit wild west here.....but on the same note i think that folk have to realise that electricians (as well as other trades) are human beings..not droids just here to serve.....nothing wrong with providing good , honest service (i`m all for it)....but a stingy wallet gets a stingy job...simple as.......as others here have pointed out....if the work done was compliant and of a good standard.....then he/she didn`t pay over the odds here.....it all hinges on that cert though i`m afraid......

Well go on then, they ripped you off!

No certs because he wouldn't know how to test and wouldn't have the gear to do it, I bet.

How the hell do you know its all safe and sound without any test results. If it were my mate I'd be having serious words with him!

I saw a bloke "testing" & filling-in an EIC using nothing more than a multimeter .... NOT a Multifunction tester, just one of those digital multimeters from somewhere like Maplin.

The scary part was when he instructed the householder not to touch anything as he was about to do the IR test at "200K" (his exact words .. not mine) !!!

He had no means of testing the RCDs, Loop or much else, but somehow managed to scribble some figures for these on the certificate.

well it cant be as bad as this place we were in today....small victorian place on 3 floors....typical of the area......well the owner had new windows installed some time ago on the 1st and 2nd floors......where did the old window frames and broken glass go......hidden under the floorboards in the bedrooms..lol.....all because they couldn`t be arsed to get a skip....so they just hid it all....took my boss n i about an hour to pull all that out..ffs.....:evil2:

That's standard practice innit? ........... I've found empty cable reels, old ceiling roses, light switches & sockets under the floorboards when I've been fitting my central heating pipework all because the spark who did the rewire couldn't be bothered to get rid of it !!! ;)

I saw a bloke "testing" & filling-in an EIC using nothing more than a multimeter .... NOT a Multifunction tester, just one of those digital multimeters from somewhere like Maplin.

The scary part was when he instructed the householder not to touch anything as he was about to do the IR test at "200K" (his exact words .. not mine) !!!

He had no means of testing the RCDs, Loop or much else, but somehow managed to scribble some figures for these on the certificate.
I hope you pulled him up Geordie..weyyabuggaman aa wudda waamed ees lugs :)

I hope you pulled him up Geordie..weyyabuggaman aa wudda waamed ees lugs :)
A rough translation for the non geordies.
One would hope the gentleman in question was severely castigated by your good self. Personally I would have thought a cuff around the ears would have been appropriate

Guys, Guys be fair: Just because this Sparky wears a Stetson, Spurs & Chaps, Carries a 6 shooter and comes to work on a horse it does'nt make him a cowboy:tounge_smile:

To the OP, I hope you haven't been put off using the forum because of all the banter on this thread. My offer still stands - give me a call and I'll come and give you my opinion of the work done. Sent my details to you in a PM - if you can't access the PM then post a reply here.

Reply to New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock