Discuss New meters in a house conversions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yly

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need a little help from the more experienced Sparkies, had a job a couple of months ago, a house conversion in to 6 flats, got a new 3 phase supply in, reyfield board after to split the supply.
EDF came and connected the meters straight after the reyfield.
Now have another job, conversion of a house in 4 flats, same procedure as above with and additional TPN isolator between the main and the reyfield.
EDF came in to fit the meters and they want an double pole isolator before the meter even if the reyfield is just next to them.

Are they playing difficult or the regulations changed?
Which is the correct way?

I've never installed an isolator between Ryefield and meter for each individual flat but reading section 4.9 of UKPN building network operator guide it says the BNO shall provide a point of isolation adjacent to each metering point to allow safe installation and operation of the MOP provided meter.

https://library.ukpowernetworks.co....+08-0118+Multi-Occupied+Building+Supplies.pdf

To be honest I always find EDF to the biggest PITA out of all the meter operators when it comes to getting the meters fitted and always try sway the customer to use someone else like EON or British Gas. One meter monkey from EDF wouldn't fit a meter because the gas was bonded at point of entry and not at the meter and another time he wouldn't fit one as the water hadn't been bonded.............Incoming water main was plastic, about 6 inch of copper after the stopcock and the rest of the installation was push fit plastic.

Ill think your have to bite the bullet on this one and fit the isolators.......

Thanks for your reply Lee, I had to install this isolators on another job but that was because the reyfield was remote from the location of the meters. Reyfield was outside the property at ground floor and the meters fited at the first floor in the communal area, where was the main entrance of the building, it was conversion in to flats that was above some shops and the way in was thru some external stairs at the back of the property.

I will call EDF tomorrow and try to argue with them that the reyfield provides the means of isolation as is just next to the meters.
I know will be easier just to fit those isolators but that will mean to redesign the whole cupboard, redo all the trunking, position of the reyfield...

Let's hope I am lucky and they will agree with me that reyfield is enough.
Will keep you posted...

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Lee, I had to install this isolators on another job but that was because the reyfield was remote from the location of the meters. Reyfield was outside the property at ground floor and the meters fited at the first floor in the communal area, where was the main entrance of the building, it was conversion in to flats that was above some shops and the way in was thru some external stairs at the back of the property.

I will call EDF tomorrow and try to argue with them that the reyfield provides the means of isolation as is just next to the meters.
I know will be easier just to fit those isolators but that will mean to redesign the whole cupboard, redo all the trunking, position of the reyfield...

Let's hope I am lucky and they will agree with me that reyfield is enough.
Will keep you posted...

Thanks
Or see how quick the customer can get another mop to come fit the meters rather than EDF. I've recently done 13 flats and due to the location of the switch/mains room they wouldn't bring the head in to the building so ended up having the head fitted in a kiosk outside the building. I put a fused switch in the kiosk, 120mm 4 core with 70mm CPC from fused switch in kiosk to an isolator in the switch/mains room, from isolator to Ryefield and from Ryefield to meters and then on to switch fuses for each individual flat. Another block of 19 Flats last year and never had a problem on them either. This was EON and British Gas though.

Reply to New meters in a house conversions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net