Discuss New Microwave Oven requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not an electrician but I would like to think I'm pretty switched on with electrics (pun intended).
I have just purchased a new microwave oven to replace my existing microwave.
The new microwave is rated at 900w max and the grill is rated at 1000w max.
Now currently the microwave is off the kitchen ring main via a fuse spur down to a single socket, I wanted to reuse this and I thought 1900w max is well within the limit of a spur until I read the manual and it says it requires a 16A Fuse. I don't agree with this. Could someone please clarify if the Fuse spur is ok to use still as I don't really want to install a new circuit. Thanks

Hi, thanks for reply, no it didn't come with one which is also why I was confused, normally they would come with one fitted. Am I right in thinking that as long as it doesn't pull more than 13A then it's fine to go on a spur. That's around 3kw so it's well within the limit.

Under the Plugs and Sockets etc (Safety) Regulations 1994 appliances intended for household use should come with a BS1363 (13A) plug. There are some exclusions, one being if the appliance has a rating exceeding 13A and with the manual stating 16A this could be a get out clause or it does require 16A fusing. Can you post a picture of the rating plate.

You have to follow what the manufacturer tells you to use, they have done testing/warranting the safe use of the equipment etc, on the basis of their installation instructions being followed.

Taking that there is no BS1362 16amp fuse surely they mean that the circuit must be covered by an In of 16amps at the MCB or RCBO. As it's on an RFC then a double pole 20 amp could be used if it disgusts anyone enough to put it on the 13amp SFCU. After all the 1900 is grill and microwave together and that surely doesn't happen - isn't it one or the other?

Reply to New Microwave Oven requirements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock