Discuss New multifunction tester in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm obviously new. I'm looking at buying a fluke 1663 but am concerned that when the new 18th edition comes in it will be obsolete. Would I be better off buying a used 1653b, + calibration, and then a new mf tester when the new regs come in?
If this has been covered then please feel free to post the link, I have had a look but couldn't find anything on this subject.

can't see any reason for additional tests that the 1663 can't do.

Also, to say hello to everyone. I will be looking at gaining some much needed advice and hopefully give some as well. My background is as a sky installer and working with home automation. I have been going out with a few electricians over the last year to try and understand what I learnt in the classroom, c&e 2330.

Obviously when new Regs or ammendments arrive you have claims of testers complying to the new requirements which they do, but in truth nothing will have changed.

Cheers for the responses Westward10 and Telectrix. That's good to hear. It's expensive enough, without being told that the new equipment is now out of date!
Think I might go for the Fluke 1664fc, purely because it has the 'insulation pretest'. Anyone know if this really does work and shows up attached equipment or is it just a gimmick with lots of disclaimers?

Cheers for the responses Westward10 and Telectrix. That's good to hear. It's expensive enough, without being told that the new equipment is now out of date!
Think I might go for the Fluke 1664fc, purely because it has the 'insulation pretest'. Anyone know if this really does work and shows up attached equipment or is it just a gimmick with lots of disclaimers?
I don't know the details of this meter, I can only assume an "insulation pretest" applies a reduced voltage and if it senses a certain resistance across the circuit it stops a full test, bit like dipping your toe in the water.

Reply to New multifunction tester in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock