Discuss new reqs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Never been NICEIC commercially , only on their PV side for another company I helped out . But had just assumed it would be required .

there is nothing wrong with proving using some sort of evidence, that a person is very competent to inspect and test and be able to verify the results.

After all, the primary reason for an I&T is to prove that the installation is safe to use. That it has been installed using the correct equipment and accessories and if any future fault occurred any safety devices would operate in such a manner as to reduce the risk of injury or death.

This I feel is quite a responsibility and the person confirming the safety of the installation should be well aware of any faults and be able to recognise potential problems that may cause harm. This requires understanding of how the safety equipment operates and what is required for them to operate efficiently and correctly.

I agree David , But I would expect at least 2391 as the bench mark . Even then I would hope that a in depth understanding would be proved as well, to gain a QS position .
I know ECA made me work for it !

I agree David , But I would expect at least 2391 as the bench mark . Even then I would hope that a in depth understanding would be proved as well, to gain a QS position .

Yes and that bench mark was adopted then discarded, for what I believe was greed. Which of course is only my personal opinion.

Safety should always take presidency, but I'm afraid even in this day and age money makes the world go round. :(

But then the ECA give automatic membership with a NICEIC accreditation.

2391 was introduced by the NICEIC for QSs or QMs but removed because too few were passing it. But it hasn't been required for a long, long time so I'm not sure why you are surprised about this?

They worked along side City & Guilds to produce the course/exams and like you say too few were passing it.

The membership would of really took a battering if they kept enforcing the requirement, that's why they move the goal posts to keep numbers on the registry.

I remember when they got so many thousands of DI packs ready thinking they were going to mop up, only to be told from the powers in Government they are not going down the Corgi (at the time but now Safe Gas) route and having only one registration body.

That's why all the other registration freeloaders got a shot at money for old rope the like of napit etc

when i joined the the ECA, the inspector came out and watched me do a few tests and was only interested in seeing my NVQ3 and didnt care about any of my other qualifications.

For as long as I know. You even get a nice welcome to the ECA letter when you join the NIC.

As I understand it, there is a "deemed to satisfy" route to ECA membership whereby NICEIC membership is one of the options. There is another option for those who aren't on any of these schemes (as indeed there is an ECA Certification Scheme).

There are, however, turnover requirements for ECA membership.

I believe that a good assessor should take note of someone's competence as presidency over their actual qualifications.
However, any electrician worth their salt should be able to inspect, test and interpret results. It's a fundamental part of the job and one which we are taught during our time.
JMO

Think if you join/sign-up with the IET you pay a Free and get future discounts on books etc..
my apprentice told me this, so it's probably complete ******** :)

Think if you join/sign-up with the IET you pay a Free and get future discounts on books etc..
my apprentice told me this, so it's probably complete ******** :)
yes you get a discount but it costs £150 ish for it.

i registered at first as an apprentice for £20 but then the renewal was over £100.

my stepdad gets the mags free from work and a lot of it is boring so it doesnt usually get opened

Yes £20 is the fig I was told. Which works out okay with the discount on the regs and OSG. Can't see me rushing out to buy either, hardly looked at the BGB, accept in the update exam.

when i joined the the ECA, the inspector came out and watched me do a few tests and was only interested in seeing my NVQ3 and didnt care about any of my other qualifications.

That sounds about right, putting too much faith in a qualification that is open to abuse from the unscrupulous, while the genuine qualifications are given at best a cursory glance!!!

Hi everyone new member to this forum but been sparking since 2004. With regards to new regs what I have never understood is why unlike other industries we are not issued with a folder with loose leaves in. All you have to do is change the relevant page or pages when a revision comes out. The way it is run now is a blatant money spinning operation. Since 2004 this will be the fourth regs book I have had to buy.

I'm just bumping some of the older threads in the general electrical forum that had a lot of replies. They might not be current topics, if they're not, just ignore them and they'll soon drop off the list. If you DO wish to add a reply and get the conversation going again, feel free to do so. Your input might help somebody else in the future.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in another thread but the niceic are doing a deal at the moment, BYB & their site guide for £85.00.
Good deal but I bought it thinking it was the IET on site guide.
Bought it now though, just hope my assessor is happy with the nic guide and not the IET guide as I wont be buying two.

Reply to new reqs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock