Discuss new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fair enough, its just you seem to quote them a awful lot recently to back up your point.

Just as a reference. I do not think they are all bad. It is particually the DI scheme and the fact that you can become a QS now without having your 2391, 2394/2395 that bothers me about the NICEIC.

Fair enough, its just you seem to quote them a awful lot recently to back up your point.

He could be excused doing so if this was 20-25 years ago (maybe as long as 30 years ago) when the NICEIC was a respected organisation!!That respect has long gone within the industry, ever since money and shareholders became it's prime and driving force...

Just as a reference. I do not think they are all bad. It is particually the DI scheme and the fact that you can become a QS now without having your 2391, 2394/2395 that bothers me about the NICEIC.

If it bothers you that much then your shouldn't help fund them then should you. I don't and won't fund any of them. Anyhow have you got your 2391 ?

If it bothers you that much then your shouldn't help fund them then should you. I don't and won't fund any of them. Anyhow have you got your 2391 ?

It did used to bother me but I got over it. Me being bothered about it or not is not going to change anything. I am not funding them, my clients are because I pass on the cost. They want a NICEIC electrician then my rates will go up.

No I do not have my 2391 or the modern equivalent. But then I may not be the QS.....

Hey guys give UKESRail a break, since he is registered with the NICEIC then he is required by them to comply with their "regs". We all know the NICEIC is nothing more than a money making scam these days. But UKESRail has a point, the NICEIC seems to have the monopoly, many companies and a good chunk of the general public are brain washed into believing that you are not a qualified electrician unless you are registered with the NIC.

An electrician friend of mine, who is a very good spark, highly skilled and very knowledgeable has been forced into registering with the NIC so he can gain a very good contract on a large well known company. They would not accept any of his qualifications or any of the other organisations he was registered with.!

The head honchos at the NIC are rubbing their hands as they cruise on the Med sipping on the champers, aboard their million dollar yachts!

Hey guys give UKESRail a break, since he is registered with the NICEIC then he is required by them to comply with their "regs". We all know the NICEIC is nothing more than a money making scam these days. But UKESRail has a point, the NICEIC seems to have the monopoly, many companies and a good chunk of the general public are brain washed into believing that you are not a qualified electrician unless you are registered with the NIC.

An electrician friend of mine, who is a very good spark, highly skilled and very knowledgeable has been forced into registering with the NIC so he can gain a very good contract on a large well known company. They would not accept any of his qualifications or any of the other organisations he was registered with.!

The head honchos at the NIC are rubbing their hands as they cruise on the Med sipping on the champers, aboard their million dollar yachts!

You made the point much better than I have been attempting to. Thanks. Their marketing department is very very good at getting them to where they are. But we all know it is about how you are perceived not what you deliver. This is true in every single industry. Look at the food and drinks market. Red Bull gives you wings apparently, not heart attacks.

What marketing department? I have never seen ad advert for them on civvie street, as for the idiots who i mentioned earlier on property development programmes them they advertise them more than anything else.

What marketing department? I have never seen ad advert for them on civvie street, as for the idiots who i mentioned earlier on property development programmes them they advertise them more than anything else.

My point exactly. You do not even know they exist but be sure as hell they are there.

I am not an NICEIC member but I don't think that there is any argument that NICEIC are the most recognised scheme out there domestically. The fact they are trading on a former 'good name' may not be liked but is common nowadays in large business. And it is fact that often NICEIC will be requested, so as a business they must be advertising in an effective manner. The fact is that their members carry out most of the advertising by big signs on their vans, and as Dillb says the fact they have been long running gets them mentioned on TV etc.

Which begs the question of just how do they manage to wangle their way into these companies to make them the ''preferred accreditation organisation'' if they are not spending money on promotional advertising?? Nothing underhand going on surely!! lol!!

It did used to bother me but I got over it. Me being bothered about it or not is not going to change anything. I am not funding them, my clients are because I pass on the cost. They want a NICEIC electrician then my rates will go up.

No I do not have my 2391 or the modern equivalent. But then I may not be the QS.....

I thought you needed to have a QS to be full scope with the NICEIC ?

Which begs the question of just how do they manage to wangle their way into these companies to make them the ''preferred accreditation organisation'' if they are not spending money on promotional advertising?? Nothing underhand going on surely!! lol!!

And yes you are quite right Engineer54 , I have seen it strongly implied , first hand and not by one of the grunt's on the ground either !

With out 2391 !?

I remember when I did my 2391, there was a guy there doing his who admittedly did not properly understand testing, just couldn't get his head round it. Yeah sure, he could do continuity and bang a meg test on a circuit but he never could get his head fully round the results. He muddled his way through and somehow passed. We became good friends and he is a very good hands on spark, but still now he always asks me to verify his results after testing because he still does not fully grasp it.
I believe that a good assessor should take note of someone's competence as presidency over their actual qualifications.

I'm sure most of us have come across folk who on paper should be master tradesmen but in real life practice are useless ;)

I do agree with you on the last bit David , but I find it quite astounding that they do not require the 2391 or what ever the equivalent is now days as at least a bench mark to becoming a QS .
I know the scams have ripped the arse out of the domestic market , but did not know they had started on the commercial side as well now!
This will no doubt get a few peoples backs up , but I personally believe the minimum of 2391 or equivalent should be attained by anyone who is on their own , and definitely if you own a company employing others .

I personally believe the minimum of 2391 or equivalent should be attained by anyone who is on their own , and definitely if you own a company employing others .

2391 was introduced by the NICEIC for QSs or QMs but removed because too few were passing it. But it hasn't been required for a long, long time so I'm not sure why you are surprised about this?

I do agree with you on the last bit David , but I find it quite astounding that they do not require the 2391 or what ever the equivalent is now days as at least a bench mark to becoming a QS .
I know the scams have ripped the arse out of the domestic market , but did not know they had started on the commercial side as well now!
This will no doubt get a few peoples backs up , but I personally believe the minimum of 2391 or equivalent should be attained by anyone who is on their own , and definitely if you own a company employing others .

Yeah but as Risteard states, too few were passing it. The NICEIC is a business and in its business quantity (membership numbers) is now the priority. ;)

Reply to new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net