Discuss New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alex1970

I currently have a double socket in our spare bedroom and a 4 way extension block running a computer and peripherals. For neatness I would like to have an electrician add a second double socket right next to the existing one and do away with the extension block. The socket can be added to the existing ring main.

However a neighbour told me that if I have any electrical work like this done then I may be required by regulations to have my consumer unit updated as it is a fuse wire unit, not RCD.

I could understand an upgrade requirement if a new circuit was being added but not for a trivial modification like this surely?

(I do understand the safety benefits of RCD over fuses, I just want to be clear on whether an upgrade would be mandated as my neighbour suggests.)

Thanks for any help.

All new work has to comply with current standards. All sockets require RCD protection (apart from circumstances which won't apply in this case) to the current standards.
RCD protection may be able to be added in the form of a stand alone RCD in a small enclosure next to the existing consumer unit. This is a compliant, inexpensive, and easy way of completing this work.

If you end up altering more than a couple of different circuits that all require RCD protection then a new consumer unit would be the way to go, but for a single circuit this solution would be fine. Think ahead of any other work you may have planned for the next year.

Get a local electrican round (after xmas of course) to explain the benefits and limitations of both options to you.

Thanks for your reply.
Out of interest would it meet regs if the new twin socket had built-in RCD protection? Or by tapping into it does the whole circuit become liable to upgrade?

Thanks.

RCD protection for the socket could be in the form of one integral to the socket. There are also regulations surrounding RCD protection for buried cables though that an electrician will explain to you. It's best one that has seen the situation informs you of your best option.

Please also be aware that the electrician would also check the earthing and bonding in the house too - so there may be one or two "extras" that you may need also.

I've seen 2 houses lately - neither of which had an earth!

Ok thanks very much for your help Andy. I'll have a think about it. I'm reluctant to bring an electrician out if its going to get expensive because I simply won't have the money to pay for it.

Ok thanks very much for your help Andy. I'll have a think about it. I'm reluctant to bring an electrician out if its going to get expensive because I simply won't have the money to pay for it.
Any decent tradesman will do a free quote. Don't consider DIY. A surge protector lead is better than a multi block.

Would any of you add another non-RCD socket outlet to an existing circuit in, say, a lounge or bedroom where none of the existing circuits have RCD protection (no buried cable required)? OK, not strictly to the regs, but there's no real additional safety risk.

My opinion is that the regs are too prescriptive in this case and that some allowance for the existing installation should be made. Having to install an RCD socket where no others are protected is pretty silly in my opinion.

Would any of you add another non-RCD socket outlet to an existing circuit in, say, a lounge or bedroom where none of the existing circuits have RCD protection (no buried cable required)? OK, not strictly to the regs, but there's no real additional safety risk.

My opinion is that the regs are too prescriptive in this case and that some allowance for the existing installation should be made. Having to install an RCD socket where no others are protected is pretty silly in my opinion.
I am with you on that.

I empathise with your sentiment and I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't. If this was generally permitted, you'd end up with situations like Trigger's broom...

Please also be aware that the electrician would also check the earthing and bonding in the house too - so there may be one or two "extras" that you may need also.
I've seen 2 houses lately - neither of which had an earth!
We should be ok on that front as it was checked a 7-8 years ago when we had some kitchen work done.

Any decent tradesman will do a free quote. Don't consider DIY. A surge protector lead is better than a multi block.
No, I wouldn't DIY it, I'd just carry on using the extension lead (which has surge protection).

W
I currently have a double socket in our spare bedroom and a 4 way extension block running a computer and peripherals. For neatness I would like to have an electrician add a second double socket right next to the existing one and do away with the extension block. The socket can be added to the existing ring main.

However a neighbour told me that if I have any electrical work like this done then I may be required by regulations to have my consumer unit updated as it is a fuse wire unit, not RCD.

I could understand an upgrade requirement if a new circuit was being added but not for a trivial modification like this surely?

(I do understand the safety benefits of RCD over fuses, I just want to be clear on whether an upgrade would be mandated as my neighbour suggests.)

Thanks for any help.
hat's a Ring Main?

Reply to New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net