Discuss New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do I feel a right dick. Just been to an old ladies flat she's recently moved into. She wants a few odds & sods doing. One job is to add a new twin socket in the kitchen above the work top. Currently she has a trailing lead and socket, plugged into an existing socket below the work top. Thing is no RCD on the RFC, old CU so no chance of adding a RCBO.

I've said no, but could install a surface RCD socket, even though the rest of the kitchen sockets aren't. Someone tell me I'm not being a right arse.

I did the same thing a few months ago, it does seem a little OTT though but we have to cover ourselves. :) Luckily mine was in plasterboard so I was able to fit a dry lining box and make it look a bit better.

I know this has been said before on this thread but it is crazy. The old dear has been using an extension lead with no rcd, you replace it with a socket, it has to be rcd protected, what a pointless exercise.

Do I feel a right dick. Just been to an old ladies flat she's recently moved into. She wants a few odds & sods doing. One job is to add a new twin socket in the kitchen above the work top. Currently she has a trailing lead and socket, plugged into an existing socket below the work top. Thing is no RCD on the RFC, old CU so no chance of adding a RCBO.

I've said no, but could install a surface RCD socket, even though the rest of the kitchen sockets aren't. Someone tell me I'm not being a right arse.

DP RCD in enclosure next to board and divert the RFC through it ? Or RCD FCU at existing socket position and spur to new socket ?

Put a notice on it "fridge only". Mind you I did a periodic on a school last summer, every socket had an rcd bar one in the staff room identified for fridges only. What was plugged into it, a microwave.

Thanks chaps, don't feel so mean now! I'll install a surface rcd socket above worktop, replacing the trailing lead left by the previous owner. Did discuss other methods with son-in-law, but this was the cheapest simplest.

Reply to New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net