Discuss New spot light installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kerryp78

Hi there

I wonder if you can please give me some good advice on some recent work that has been undertaken at my house.

we have an old board then was here when we moved in. The downstairs lights are on a mini trip fuse the rest are the wire fuses.

down stairs we had 5 pendant fittings and 6 spot lights

we have had a refurbishment knocking through the kitchen and replaced the 2 pendants in that area and the pendant in the bathroom with 17 spots in total (14 in the new open plan and 3 in the bathroom)

when all spots are on for around 2-3 hours the downstairs lights will trip a the board. Last night we had half of them on for most of the night and they were fine. We switched the other half on and within 5 mins they all tripped.

i need an understanding before the electrician comes back who did the work of what is could be.

Thanks in advance

Overload, too much current being drawn and fuse ruptures

Change them all to LED. Seems the circuit is overloaded. What wattage are the halogen lamps that are in at the minute?

17 light fittings shouldn't be taking out the fuse/circuit breaker. I would suspect a "proper" fault of some kind.

The fact that you think you know which lights are causing the problem is a great start - so get somebody in to inspect these first and clamp the circuit with all the lights on.

Sorry if this isn't helpful

What does clamp the circuit mean ? To test it ?

To see what current is being drawn when all the lights are on. As Murdoch said though 17 down lights at 50W a piece shouldn't be taking out the fuse/circuit breaker. If the lamps are 50W each that's a total of 850W. 850W/230V=3.7Amps. What size is the fuse/circuit breaker? Would normally be 5A or 6A.

Reply to New spot light installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net