Discuss New trainee electrician! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

PLW

Hi guys,

my name is Phil and I'm a trainee Electrician. Although I've been on this forum a while I never actually introduced myself.

I'm currently working full time and decided I wanted a career change and decided to train towards becoming an electrician. I am doing a distance learning course with a company called Trades Gateway. They send me all the theory work and I work my way through the modules with help from a tutor who I can contact through email or phone. Once I have completed the relevant theory modules I then go to one of the practical training centres to learn about the practical aspects and undertake the exams.

The course includes the following qualifications:

Part P defined cope leading to Part P full scope.
City & Guilds 2377
City & Guilds 2382
City & Guilds 2357
City & Guilds 2392
City & Guilds 2394 and 2395

I have seen a lot of other different City & Guilds electrical qualifications and am slightly confused as to which ones are actually needed in order to become a fully qualified electrician. I have been ensured by my course providers that the qualifications that I've listed above are sufficient enough to enable me to become a fully qualified electrician, but wondered what you guys think.

Thanks.

i think 2357 includes AM2, not sure about NVQ3. if both are covered, then you should get a JIB gold card

The 2357 should be inclusive of NVQ Level 3. This would require assessment in the workplace, which may not be an option until you actually start to begin working in the industry.

All of the other qualifications are complementary to other necessary skills and circumstance.

You wouldn't get recognition as a qualified Electrician from just doing distance learning, you'll have to complete the NVQ Level 3 portfolio and then the AM2 assessment as Telectrix has mentioned.

I appreciate the challenge for adult learners that do career change into this industry, I would advise you contact your training provider to inquire about the NVQ Levels 3 side of the training, and how it goes about getting done.

For now, if you do get opportunities to carry out electrical work, maybe helping electricians, for example, try to collect evidence to prove your work - things like photos, witness testimonies from supervisors, copies of drawings, site H&S literature etc.

The 2357 should be inclusive of NVQ Level 3. This would require assessment in the workplace, which may not be an option until you actually start to begin working in the industry.

All of the other qualifications are complementary to other necessary skills and circumstance.

You wouldn't get recognition as a qualified Electrician from just doing distance learning, you'll have to complete the NVQ Level 3 portfolio and then the AM2 assessment as Telectrix has mentioned.

I appreciate the challenge for adult learners that do career change into this industry, I would advise you contact your training provider to inquire about the NVQ Levels 3 side of the training, and how it goes about getting done.

For now, if you do get opportunities to carry out electrical work, maybe helping electricians, for example, try to collect evidence to prove your work - things like photos, witness testimonies from supervisors, copies of drawings, site H&S literature etc.

Thank you for your reply. Some helpful information there. I recently read an article about becoming an electrician and it said that there's absolutely no point working in a job that is totally unrelated to becoming an electrician, even whilst training. I understand that there a jobs such as electricians mates or improvers, however, because I do not at this stage have any qualifications or experience, is there any way I can go about getting some work with an electrician or firm even if I'm just their labourer? I really want to get as much experience and knowledge as possible, but feel my lack of qualifications and experience is probably going to stop me. I do have a CSCS so I can work on-site, but that's about it.

Thank you for your reply. Some helpful information there. I recently read an article about becoming an electrician and it said that there's absolutely no point working in a job that is totally unrelated to becoming an electrician, even whilst training. I understand that there a jobs such as electricians mates or improvers, however, because I do not at this stage have any qualifications or experience, is there any way I can go about getting some work with an electrician or firm even if I'm just their labourer? I really want to get as much experience and knowledge as possible, but feel my lack of qualifications and experience is probably going to stop me. I do have a CSCS so I can work on-site, but that's about it.

Well your opportunities are really determined by your current circumstance really.

Firstly, you're doing the right thing by using opportunities like this to seek more information. Use any opportunity to look beyond your training provider as you can get a bit trapped in the tunnel vision from a training provider whom may just be trying to reach the PASS mark. You'll learn a lot more when you browse around and there are great resources online.

Secondly, if you are financially able, or can maybe offer up some of your weekends, then you would need to seek some experience at the labourer/wirer level. If you could contact local electricians and see if they can offer you some experience development then that would be rewarding. Quite often electricians are stretched and can use a motivated spare pair of hands on site, they would take on legal responsibility for your work and having the CSCS may make that even easier.
There are opportunities for experience development with days here and there, unfortunately you will need to understand that the experience is the reward and not necessarily the money, so try to capture that experience for record.

Well your opportunities are really determined by your current circumstance really.

Firstly, you're doing the right thing by using opportunities like this to seek more information. Use any opportunity to look beyond your training provider as you can get a bit trapped in the tunnel vision from a training provider whom may just be trying to reach the PASS mark. You'll learn a lot more when you browse around and there are great resources online.

Secondly, if you are financially able, or can maybe offer up some of your weekends, then you would need to seek some experience at the labourer/wirer level. If you could contact local electricians and see if they can offer you some experience development then that would be rewarding. Quite often electricians are stretched and can use a motivated spare pair of hands on site, they would take on legal responsibility for your work and having the CSCS may make that even easier.
There are opportunities for experience development with days here and there, unfortunately you will need to understand that the experience is the reward and not necessarily the money, so try to capture that experience for record.

I completely agree with what you're saying. I know the course will give me the qualifications to entitle me to become an electrician, as you say it's the experience that is going to get you where you need to be. I was thinking about calling up a few local firms to see if they could take me on or either put me in the right direction. Thank you for your help.

Reply to New trainee electrician! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock