Discuss Newbie :-) be gentle :-) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm Az I've been registered for a few weeks just reading all your posts and cannot explain how sound the advice is you all give and the knowledge you all have! And the banter too:)

I'm currently working full time and have always had a facination with electrics (ex Maplin tech guy from many years ago! I want a career change and naturally I am leaning towards the electrician route.

I know to be become fully qualified sparky I will need years of experience and the C & G L2/3 Am2 etc.

I am not currently able to give up work and just start a college course to do them both at this stage as the financial loss against my personal situation would not allow it.

Therefore (before I get the usual banter and abuse) I am going to do the following:-

The Domestic Installer route first, this will allow me to then get some experience and make sure the L2/L3 is my future...

The course is with Erudite Training in Denton (Greater Manchester) and they say the course gives a basic understanding of electrical principles as well as guidance on installation methods and best practices to be followed with a range of materials. What is fundamentally important is that any electrical work is safe to prevent electrocution and/or fire. It is also a legal requirement that electricians, amongst other trades people, comply with Building Regulations. The course is arranged in such a way as to give both theory and practical elements which teach not only the correct way to do things but the importance of following the procedures.

Domestic Installer Course breakdown:
- Domestic Installer Certificate (Stroma course)
- City and Guilds 2382 - 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
- City and Guilds 2393 - Building Regulations
- City and Guilds 2392 - Fundamental Inspection and Testing

I am not here to add the unprofessional people out there who call themselves electricians. However I will be asking for all your advice and knowledge as time goes on :)

Welcome aboard Az, as soon as you have a course sorted you can apply for the trainee section where you are in a safe place to learn and ask questions - it is mediated by staff advisers (better description unavailable) and there is lots to be learnt. Enjoy reading and searching threads when your brain thinks of a question that needs to be answered or an itch that needs to be scratched. Every day is a learning day.

Welcome aboard Az, as soon as you have a course sorted you can apply for the trainee section where you are in a safe place to learn and ask questions - it is mediated by staff advisers (better description unavailable) and there is lots to be learnt. Enjoy reading and searching threads when your brain thinks of a question that needs to be answered or an itch that needs to be scratched. Every day is a learning day.

That's perfect thanks!

welcome!
what experience do you hope to gain from the domestic installer course? i don't mean that to sound abrasive, but to understand your line of thinking :)
i ask 'cause it seems more logical to go direct onto the level two course (that you can do similar timescale to the DI package at training centres).

welcome!
what experience do you hope to gain from the domestic installer course? i don't mean that to sound abrasive, but to understand your line of thinking :)
i ask 'cause it seems more logical to go direct onto the level two course (that you can do similar timescale to the DI package at training centres).

Hi Karin,

Due to my current work/family set up and the fact I would then have to do the NVQ 3 etc it just doesn't work for me at this time.

I've decided on the DI mainly due to course times which I can manage short term with work (Saturdays), family and the baby and I can commit too all oh them. I will then be able to also get set up as a DI and help it fund the nvqs at which stage I can decide on making the final jump from my current job to full time sparky.

This is a plan for 2-3 years as I need the stability of my current... bills/mortgage etc... I wish i was 16 again!!!

as long as you know the short course route is limited and you need further training, esp. practical hands on, then go for it. progress from there to am2 and nvq3.

as long as you know the short course route is limited and you need further training, esp. practical hands on, then go for it. progress from there to am2 and nvq3.
O

100% I know this... good job I'm also renovating my house so lots of practice!

Reply to Newbie :-) be gentle :-) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net