Discuss Newly Qualified in Brighton in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Dom, no easy answer there. When you say you are fresh out of training do you mean you have no experience? Or are you a member of a CPS scheme? What area are you working in?

Hi Dom, no easy answer there. When you say you are fresh out of training do you mean you have no experience? Or are you a member of a CPS scheme? What area are you working in?

Are you a DI?, think that's the term.

Yes, I'm qualified as a domestic installer and as I was a teacher prior had next to no experience. Since July I've concentrated on non-notifiable work which has helped me get more hands on experience in the real world. The extra experience weeks I paid for during my training were very useful and got me up to a basic competence level. I know my limits and when to read up to make sure I get it right. I will take additional courses to add to my skills over time so eventually I'll have a wider range of work I'm qualified to take on.

I've been distributing 1000 leaflets a week to drum up new business and have had 8000 printed. It's a little disappointing when you get so little response but you only need a few jobs before the leaflets are paid for. In terms of starting out what other options are there as obviously getting work via word of mouth is for those who are already established. How long should I expect to have to keep plugging away like this until I start to earn a living out of this?

Word of mouth is pretty much everything. Most people will tell you that 80-90% of the their business comes from word of mouth/repeat custom. It takes time, a lot of time.

Try Brighton gumtree. It has generated enquiries for me. You might think of getting work as an improver with local electricians to learn other things. Advertise in local wholesalers.

Hi Dominic non notifiable work is pretty scarce in my opinion but it is out there, most home owners carry out this work them self but some home owners are not confident enough to do it so grab it if you can. As Hightower said word of mouth is a huge part of our work but it does take time to build up a good reputation. Good luck for the future if you work to high standards and to regs you will get more work. And as Vortigern has said try looking for improver work it will help you on your way.

Reply to Newly Qualified in Brighton in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock