1. Just upgrading some bits and bobs. Hang in there
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. FatallyFlawed

FatallyFlawed Electrician's Arms

The NHS has just published a safety alert about socket covers which requires them to be removed from all NHS premises!

It says: "This Alert is issued to highlight how, in certain circumstances, the use of plastic 13A (13 amp) electrical socket inserts (sold as safety accessories) can overcome the safety features designed into socket outlets.13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of."

There is a full explanation here.

2. martinh287

martinh287 Regular EF Member

Yeah we have been issued with this warning. We have these at various places thoughout the hospital. Our children's ward are asking for a alternative solution.

3. UKMeterman

UKMeterman Electrician's Arms

Hi,
    I had a go at abusing some MK Logic plus sockets, have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqaU5OlJ4E have a look from 4:00

Dan, Davisonp, steve50 and 1 other person like this.
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

the alternative is to leave the sockets alone as designed. ensure that RCD protection is in place.

princeofsparks, Wilko, Dan and 6 others like this.
  5. netblindpaul

netblindpaul Trusted Advisor

There is no need for ANY alternative solution, the sockets are already inherently safe.

Leyland30, Wilko, Dan and 3 others like this.
  6. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I could not read the full explanation as the page was not displaying (due to browser security at my end). I hope as well as sensibly advising the removal of these things they are getting someone to check each sockets shutter mechanism has not seized up.

Good work FF.

Dan and Rpa07 like this.
  7. Carl S

Carl S EF Member

On my father’s instruction I am posting this:

https://www.cas.dh.gov.uk/ViewandAcknowledgment/ViewAlert.aspx?AlertID=102494

The full Department of Health directive and if you follow the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] link it will lead to the PDF where you will find it also applies to OFSTED regulated premises.

martinh287, as NetBlindPaul pointed out. You have no option other than comply with the directive.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Dan, davesparks, Davisonp and 3 others like this.
  8. LED Lighting

LED Lighting Regular EF Member

There is only one type of socket cover/protector which can make the sockets safer than they are already.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=socket+protector

Sorry it's amazon but these covers lock closed over the the socket stopping anything being plugged in or removed.
    I have seen some which can be opened with a magnet or a key.
    But as about and many other posts the UK sockets are the safest ever and don't require any intervention to make them safer

Dan and Daveaddiss like this.
  9. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Is this a wind up or something, no offence LED. I can only assume the reason to lock up a socket, is to stop people pinching your electricity!

10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

11. stevethesparks

stevethesparks Electrician's Arms

It would appear that many sparks here do not like the MK brand. For the reasons given, this is my selling point for using MK socket outlets, in my opinion they are second to none for safety in this regard. Worth the extra pennies.

1 person likes this.
  12. UNG

UNG Trusted Advisor

Back in I think the late 80's the NHS actually banned under a HTM the use of MK sockets in all NHS premises as the "new" shutter they used didn't need the earth pin and could be operated by any 2 pin plug, Crabtree then became the preferred brand while MK failed to tackle this known problem for many years, while they have now fixed the problem (not sure when) there are many more manufacturers in the marketplace to chose from now and having made such a poor modification with safety issues to their sockets back then MK has lost the trust they had with a lot of sparks who have moved on to other brands

13. happysteve

happysteve Electrician's Arms

A good reason might be to stop a kid plugging an appliance that could be dangerous (to them) into a socket. The usual example is a portable fan heater: might get a burn, or covered over with a pile of clothes causing a fire.

It's generally easier to just do a mental risk assessment and just store stuff like that out of reach if it's potentially gonna be a problem.

14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

can also be used to stop anyone unplugging an appliance e.g. a computer.

15. UNG

UNG Trusted Advisor

Does this mean these horrible things are going to be removed from those Bounty boxes the NHS hand out to new mothers as well, it would be a bit hypocritical if they don't

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

17. netblindpaul

The thing with that is that the two live pins actuating mechanism is valid under BS1363 and always has been, however, the pins must be rectangular and, compliant with BS1363 themselves, thus it is impossible ti open them with a round pin "euro" plug.
    This is one of the issues with "socket protectors" they don't have to be designed to the pin dimensions of BS1363.

18. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

From what I can gather this directive is legally binding for all NHS premises in the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I've pinned this thread for now to get it better attention.

3 people like this.
  19. netblindpaul

You are correct Marvo, it is legally binding for all NHS premises throughout the whole of the NHS estate in the UK.
    This will also have further ramifications.
    Thank goodness.

3 people like this.
  20. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

^^agreed, it's long overdue.