Discuss NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What I find confusing, is all these littles kids turning up in school or wherever, to be confronted with these strange devices called socket outlets. It must come as a complete shock for them (excuse the pun), having never seen them before in their lives. Still probably an education for them, as they now know how their TV's and PlayStations come to life.

So I got a reply from Ofsted:

Thank you for your email of 04 July 2016 and 07 July 2016. Ihave been asked to respond.

You ask in your email what Ofsted’s policy is on the use ofelectric socket safety covers, and whether we have put out information to alertproviders we regulate of its dangers.

Our position is clear on this matter. We neither recommend norcriticise the use of socket covers by childcare providers. It is theresponsibility of the provider to ensure that premises, environment andequipment are safe and suitable for their purpose. We do not prescribe the wayin which safety measures are to be put in place. There are no specificrequirements in legislation or the early years statutory framework that socketcovers must be placed in electrical sockets.

It is for the provider to decide as part of the risk assessmentthey carry out at their premises how best to protect children from dangersassociated with electric sockets and appliances. Providers may wish to consultthe Royal Society for the Prevention ofAccidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites forinformation to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers.

I hope this clarifies our position on the matter.
That good and cleared that up then :mad2:

I am still waiting for a reply from ROSPA. Lets see what they say..

Did you point out that NHS has identified the dangers, RoSPA and Child Accident Protection Trust have not?

Yes I put:

I see that the NHS has finally got round to alerting peopleto the dangers of these so called “socket safety covers”. (NHS CentralAlerting System, 30[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2016, Originator: DH Estates andFacilities)

Just got a reply from ROSPA:

Thank you for your email.

RoSPA’s policy relating to“socket Safety covers” can be found on the following link http://www.rospa.com/home-safety/resources/policy-statements/electricity/

Protective SocketCovers for 13-amp Power Outlets
RoSPA recommendsthat all electrical equipment is stored safely away when not in use andchildren are supervised and warned to keep away from plug socket outlets untilthey are capable of understanding the risks and are able to use them safely.
13-amp powersockets made to BS 1363 incorporate a shutter mechanism, which preventsinappropriate access to the live connectors. RoSPA therefore does not considerit necessary to recommend the use of socket covers.

I have also provided the link tothe appropriate page on the Electrical Safety First webpage for yourinformation which you will find has a very similar policy.
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/news-and-campaigns/press-releases/2009/06/socket-covers/

so why are ofsted burying their heads in the sand? are they afraid of offending the poorly paid chinese/koreans/etc. who produce this garbage?

edit: by garbage i refer to the socket covers.

I have replied to ROSPA:

Inthe light of the NHS findings regarding the dangers of these “safety covers” doyou not think it is necessary to ban the use of these covers or do you disagreewith the NHS alert?
Isn’tthe wording on your site “does not consider it necessary to recommend the useof socket covers” sound indifferent to the NHS alert and the dangers of thesecovers?
The Electrical SafetyFirst post is dated 2009. I would hope that they have seen the NHS alertand will be updating their site information.

I need to get back to OFSTED to see why they also are indifferent to the NHS alert.

UPDATE:

Below is an email I sent to OFSTED.

Many thanks for the reply. I have contacted RoSPA and below is their policy.

Protective SocketCovers for 13-amp Power Outlets

RoSPA recommendsthat all electrical equipment is stored safely away when not in use and childrenare supervised and warned to keep away from plug socket outlets until they arecapable of understanding the risks and are able to use them safely.

13-amp powersockets made to BS 1363 incorporate a shutter mechanism, which preventsinappropriate access to the live connectors. RoSPA therefore does not considerit necessary to recommend the use of socket covers.

I have to say that I am shockedby the Ofsted policy though. RoSPA don’t go as far as the NHS alert toremove any ‘safety covers’ but at least they are not indifferent to the dangersof them, which is what your policy seems to imply.
Does the NHS report on thedangers of these “socket safety covers” not concern you?

Do Ofsted not see the dangers ofbypassing the safety of the socket with something that has no safety standards?

The NHS has statedthat “13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social carepremises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket insertscurrently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of.” Doyou not think the same should be done at schools and nurseries?

Below is their reply.

Thank you for emailing back following my response to yourprevious email of 04 July 2016.

I have nothing further to add to my previous response to you.The statutory framework that underpins our regulatory duty is owned by theDepartment for Education (DfE). You may contact them if you wish to questionwhy the law does not forbid the use of electrical safety socket covers inchildcare settings.

That pretty much sums it up......

So It looks like the only way these things will be band is when someone get Killed !!! Its a shame they are not even looking at changing their policy

I can be an pain when I get a bee in my bonnet..... I'm contacting the Department of Education now to see what they say.

Have to wait up to 15 days for a reply. Will keep you informed.

Do Ofsted not see the dangers of bypassing the safety of the socket with something that has no safety standards?

The NHS has stated that “13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of.” Do you not think the same should be done at schools and nurseries?

Below is their reply.

Thank you for emailing back following my response to your previous email of 04 July 2016.

I have nothing further to add to my previous response to you.The statutory framework that underpins our regulatory duty is owned by the Department for Education (DfE). You may contact them if you wish to question why the law does not forbid the use of electrical safety socket covers in childcare settings.

That pretty much sums it up......

I find it quite worrying that these people are responsible for monitoring childcare and education establishments with a reply like that. Having said that they have gone from you must have them to a stance of we won't mark down establishments that don't have them did the DfE make that decision for them

I find it funny that Ofsted quote "Providers may wish to consult the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA)and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them makea decision about the use of socket covers." changed to "Thestatutory framework that underpins our regulatory duty is owned by theDepartment for Education (DfE)."

I wonder who they will pick next if DfE come back with a sensible reply.

Just got a reply back from Dfe.

Thank you for your email dated 3 August about socket safety covers.

The Department for Education does not have a policy on the use of safety socket covers. It is up to individual childcare providers to ensure that their premises and equipment are safe and meet any safety legislation that is required. I have however asked the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for their advice on the matter you have raised. HSE’s advice is as follows:

There are no health and safety regulations that either require or ban the use of socket covers. HSE have a neutral position on the use of socket covers. Modern domestic and general use socket outlets have safety shutters within them to prevent access to live parts (inside the lower two openings of a socket outlet). The risk of anyone accessing live parts of such a socket outlet is considered to be low due to this feature. The decision on whether or not to use socket covers is a matter for providers after considering the risks.

I hope that this is helpful

This is really frustrating that only the NHS care about the people it looks after. I will reply to them sometime this morning.

Update from DfE to my email below.

Many thanks for the reply.
I must say that I am shocked by the Dfe and HSE indifference to the dangers of these 'safety socket covers'. Yes the socket outlets are designed to BS 1363, the ''safety socket covers' have no safety standard, yet you leave it up to individual childcare providers to do a risk assessment on these.
Do you train the childcare providers on the BS standards and what is safe? If not then how are they to know?
Does the Dfe and HSE have no concerns that bypassing the safety of a socket outlet with something that has no British safety standard may lead to someone being injured? Hence the NHS putting out a safety alert.

Thank you for your email
I would like to provide reassurance that the DfE is not indifferent to the safety of children in childcare settings and we require providers to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of children and they must comply with health and safety legislation but the DfE's role does not extend to setting safety standards for electrical equipment in the same way that its not our role to set fire safety regulations for example. As a Department we rely on the Health and Safety Executive to provide advice on health and safety issues. Like any responsible organisation caring for children and as employers we expect early years providers to seek any training or guidance they need. As HSE have pointed out that there are no regulations in relation to 'safety socket covers', in seeking guidance early years providers can of course take the NHS alert into account when assessing risks to children. ‎We have noted that the National day Nurseries Association has included the NHS alert on their website, for childcare providers to refer to.

The National day Nurseries Association (NDNA) did include the NHS alert, 27th July 2016.
http://www.ndna.org.uk/NDNA/Need_to_know/You_need_to_know.aspx

I will now contact the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and see their views on the NHS alert and should they do more to inform people of this, like inform OFSTED.

Reply to NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net