Discuss Nic Eic Assessment When Dno Haven't Been To Replace Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nuvo

Hi All what a day ive had.
ive just rewired a 2 bed house with TN-S arrangment. ive come to the testing and the ZE is reading 2.93 ohms. i installed new 16mm to the clamp that was originally on the incoming i cleaned up with the wire brush and tightened. still wouldnt bring it down. so ive called the DNO Western power theyve been out tonite and told me its not one of there earths they have not supplied an earth. they said they can strip back to lead core and provide me an earth for around 50-60 quid but wont be done till the middle of next week. Here is the big problem. i have my first NIC EIC assesment next tuesday so job wont be complete. would the nic eic refuse to see that job as i have no other to take them too. or could i possibly still take them there because i can show i can still test and show im going the right way about things and would be ok. the last thing i want to happen is for them to say its no good re arrange and charge me the 290 quid for rebooking. i was chatting to the western power fella he said to install a earth rod to a tt system but not keen on this idea what are your thoughts sorry if this is hard to understand but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ive just rewired a 2 bed house with TN-S arrangment. ive come to the testing and the ZE is reading 2.93 ohms. i installed new 16mm to the clamp that was originally on the incoming i cleaned up with the wire brush and tightened. still wouldnt bring it down. so ive called the DNO Western power theyve been out tonite and told me its not one of there earths they have not supplied an earth. they said they can strip back to lead core and provide me an earth for around 50-60 quid but wont be done till the middle of next week. Here is the big problem. i have my first NIC EIC assesment next tuesday so job wont be complete. would the nic eic refuse to see that job as i have no other to take them too. or could i possibly still take them there because i can show i can still test and show im going the right way about things and would be ok. the last thing i want to happen is for them to say its no good re arrange and charge me the 290 quid for rebooking. i was chatting to the western power fella he said to install a earth rod to a tt system but not keen on this idea what are your thoughts sorry if this is hard to understand but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You should have assessed the earthing arrangement before carrying out the work as per the regs. A clamp onto a sheath that has not been provided by the DNO is not suitable and your only option is to use a temporary rod until a DNO connection has been made. You are right, it's not ideal.

Erm... If I were you I would have wrapped up a job long ago to show them, not leave it until the last minute.

However, you are in this position now and need to come up with a plan.

If WPD won't come out any sooner, I would bang an earth rod in.

Seems kinda silly doing a TT with a probable Ra far exceeding the present 2.93 ohms!
I cant see a problem with connecting to that as a temporary measure and filling in your EIC but not completing it. Why not contact the NICEIC and ask them if that is acceptable pending the faulty TNS being rectified?
I assume the present high Ze will meet disconnection times via RCD's with your TNS designed install?

Bang a rod in or prepare 349£ for a revist mate if not possible strip it back put a clamp yourself and play the game.

Not got the bottle to strip back myself. i will call them tomoz as its rcd protected table 41.5 inregs book allows the max zs not exceed 1667ohms. im in a bit of a rock and hard place

Not got the bottle to strip back myself. i will call them tomoz as its rcd protected table 41.5 inregs book allows the max zs not exceed 1667ohms. im in a bit of a rock and hard place

Although the current Ze is above the max of 0.8 ohms for a TNS supply the fact that all of your circuits have 30 ma RCD protection ensures your new installation is safe until WPD come back. I'm sure the assessor wouldn't know that the existing main earth connection isn't an official DNO one and just explain you've informed WPD of the issue and they'll be sorting it out soon. Honestly I don't think you need worry as you've identified the issue and are demonstrating that you've dealt with it correctly.

Well clamping into a gas pipe is real risk aswell. Come on you not gonna use an impact to do it.
and your not going to sweat a bond onto the gas pipe with a blowtorch., unless you're a plumber

Reply to Nic Eic Assessment When Dno Haven't Been To Replace Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net