Discuss NIC QS Assessment charge in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not long had my Approved NIC/EIC assessment and had to be QS assessed.This took an extra half a day(on top of the other half a day for the yearly assessment).Just got the bill for the half day charge.......£366!:eek::mad::(

Feel ripped off or what.

Have any of you guys had to pay this fee?

Here are a few points that the inspector said while on his visit
1.You don't have to do a R1+R2 on an EICR.
2.L-N insulation test has to have LIM in the box for a EICR unless you have taken all the lamps out.
3.Asked him about codes for no rcd fitted.He said if it was in an office with wood floor feeding computers,radio,kettle etc then it would be a C3.On the shop floor where it is concrete and power drills are being used etc then it would be a C2.
4. 0.4s disconnection time for all outlets up to 32amp and 5s above 32amp but the exception being a submain in swa.Even though you might fit a 16a or 20 amp breaker for the garage the disconnection time must be put on the form as 5 seconds.

The last thing with the inspector was with the main water bonding.On the property i showed him the water pipe came into the building under the floor,up to the stop tap,which was poking out behind the skirting with only the tap showing(no place to put a bonding clip).It then went back under the floor and disappeared up a studded wall.I put my clip about a foot after the tap under the floor and knowing he would comment on access,i took a photo of it,attached it to the certificate and commented on the cert as to where it was etc.

He did comment on it and said it had to be accessable.So i asked him how?
He said i needed to get a plumber to solder the 10mm cable onto the pipe so that it was maintenance free and that would be acceptable.I don't know about you guys but i have never ever seen an earth wire soldered to a pipe before?

I know alot of you will know all of the points above but it clarified a few points for me and so i thought i'd share them.

... 0.4s disconnection time for all outlets up to 32amp and 5s above 32amp but the exception being a submain in swa.Even though you might fit a 16a or 20 amp breaker for the garage the disconnection time must be put on the form as 5 seconds.

For a 230V AC TN system, any circuit which isn't a final circuit rated at up to 32A is allowed a max disconnection time of 5s. ie any distribution circuit (whether SWA or not) and any circuit above 32A.

For a 230V AC TN system, any circuit which isn't a final circuit rated at up to 32A is allowed a max disconnection time of 5s. ie any distribution circuit (whether SWA or not) and any circuit above 32A.

I think in general use reg 411.3.2.2 is used hence the 0.4s disconnection time.When filling out the forms this is the times quoted unless the other factors are relevant.Its reg 411.3.2.3 that i think your refering to and only applies if not covered by 411.3.2.2.

I think in general use reg 411.3.2.2 is used hence the 0.4s disconnection time.When filling out the forms this is the times quoted unless the other factors are relevant.Its reg 411.3.2.3 that i think your refering to and only applies if not covered by 411.3.2.2.

Indeed. If you regard 'general use' as meaning final circuits not exceeding 32A, I agree. My previous post still stands though.

Note that 411.3.2.2 refers only to final circuits not distribution circuits so your post is correct but in general the correct disconnection time for the type and rating of the circuit is used on the forms.

Ok thanks for that @Richard Burns seems a bit hard to understand as to why two assessments, why not put it all into one? I suppose it makes more money that way. But the OP should have known it was coming surely? Just a bit puzzled there on that. I was thinking of NIC I'm with STROMA at the mo. but, well people want NIC. But I don't like the idea of unpleasant surprises.

Ok thanks for that @Richard Burns seems a bit hard to understand as to why two assessments, why not put it all into one? I suppose it makes more money that way. But the OP should have known it was coming surely? Just a bit puzzled there on that. I was thinking of NIC I'm with STROMA at the mo. but, well people want NIC. But I don't like the idea of unpleasant surprises.

The assessment was a full day.Half the day was the usual NIC yearly assessment and the other half a day was my QS assessment.I knew that the first part of the day was included in the NIC fee's but the £366 for the QS assessment was never mentioned.I don't mind paying for the second half a day.Its the £366 that they charge that's taking the p*ss.

I have been a qualified electrician for 30 years.I worked with my father who was the QS and the named person on the NIC register.I have since taken over the company so i was able to keep the NIC number( one of the first to register with them in the 60's) but had to be put into the QS position from my father who has now retired after 65 years in the industry.(He's now 81 and would still come to work if i let him but his memory is failing so is unable to do the job properly.)

81 you say. good on him. i was with niceic, about 10years, they wanted to much on testing.
it was like a school master waiting for you to get it wrong ,and then it you with a Cain.
I am now with budget ,and scraper ltd .

when I was a niceic Q.S.I asked this under the enrolment fee was half day assessment but had to pay for a full day i.e they charged for other half. If you are just doing domestic and getting work through reputation word of mouth just need to belong to scheme for part P then go with the cheapest (Stroma)

I have been a qualified electrician for 30 years.I worked with my father who was the QS and the named person on the NIC register.I have since taken over the company so i was able to keep the NIC number( one of the first to register with them in the 60's) but had to be put into the QS position from my father who has now retired after 65 years in the industry.(He's now 81 and would still come to work if i let him but his memory is failing so is unable to do the job properly.)

That's pretty impressive.
I had something similar, taking over as QS, as was, a good few years ago. Then, there was no need for such an assessment. Now it all revolves around the cash cow.
To tell you the truth, I would have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Just think of the problems they would have had....''65 year NICEIC member firm charged as father retires and son with 30 years experience takes over as head, blah, blah,,,.
Emma Clancy would have had a fit with a bit of media coverage there!

65 years a member, they should be offering you free membership and costs for the foreseeable future and begging you to appear in all their latest publications.

ps. If they do beg, insist on a payment for each occasion.;)

1. Yes. Either R1 + R2 is acceptable.
2. No, would list circuits with vulnerable equipment and only use LIM where listed Limitations apply.
3. No, would treat both the same.
4. Wouldn't see it as an exception.

That's pretty impressive.
I had something similar, taking over as QS, as was, a good few years ago. Then, there was no need for such an assessment. Now it all revolves around the cash cow.
To tell you the truth, I would have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Just think of the problems they would have had....''65 year NICEIC member firm charged as father retires and son with 30 years experience takes over as head, blah, blah,,,.
Emma Clancy would have had a fit with a bit of media coverage there!

65 years a member, they should be offering you free membership and costs for the foreseeable future and begging you to appear in all their latest publications.

ps. If they do beg, insist on a payment for each occasion.;)
Not a member of any of the Schemes, never have been, never will be a member now retired so no need.

I keep an interest in things so it makes me wonder, perhaps I'm living in cloud Cuckoo land, but with all the complaints about costs and scams in general, would it not be possible to lobby MPs about the lack of consistency, Stroma charge this amount NIC this, the cost of literature every couple of years, regs etc.

I bet the CEOs of these Organisations are laughing all the way to the bank, why cant there be one governing body (Gas safe) as an example?

Has there ever been any sort of revolt against these money pits? as I said at the beginning never been involved with any of them so I am not sure if any thing has ever been said, I recall a few years ago one of the Forum members went in front of some Government panel, sorry can't recall who it was or what was the outcome. All you self employed bloke must spit nails when the annual assessments come around and more of your hard earned cash goes towards some ones new Jag, sorry for the rant, no comments about cloud Cuckoo land either please I've heard it all before.;):rolleyes:

Reply to NIC QS Assessment charge in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net