Discuss niceic assesment help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dredski

i have an assesment for the domestic niceic part p registration.. i just want to know what the assessor checks for and is it a stricat and hard assesment...

cheers

ps....why do my posts keep dissapearing any idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one little tip , when u submit your two jobs dont submit an outside supply or shed power on a pme it will open a can of worms.

Just get clued up on max ze readings for the jobs you submit.

The first visit is the worst because they dont know you and want to test you.

Dont believe the posts that you will pass reguardless,,, because they want the money.

most of the people who say that opt for the easier option and not NIC

If its any help, I have just succeeded in gaining approved status, my first visit was fine, yes they need to test you, they found a few bits and pieces they didn't like and we are putting them right, I did present an external supply on a PME supply and genetrally he was pleased with what we had done. He even bought me lunch. the guy was brilliant and I cannot fault him. Chat in the van between jobs was very easy and open discussion.
I have resisted going NICEIC approved for years and cant believe how daft I have been.

em just wat u guys implying that elecsa nap etc are cop outs!!!!!!!!!!!! lol only jokin im from sunny norn iron and belong to none of the above just like stickin my oar in:D

I have only read the first two posts here so sorry if this is a repeat.

I have been at an NIC assessment and I have been assesed for ELECSA.

ELECSA was far, far harder to pass. I spose it's all up to the assessor himself (or herself, there are one or two), but if there is an easy option, I would put money on NIC being it.

That said, don't e complacent. They can ask you anything in that big red book and beyond. If you've got your head on your shoulders you'll be alright. I recommend using a CU change as one of your jobs and having exceptionally tidy work - spend a nice lot of time getting it nice and sexy looking. If he sees that first, and you dont act like a complete amoeba, he's going to think you're alright and hopefully ask you some easier questions.

Brush up on your current carrying capacities, breakers and cable sizes for specific appliances and circuts (13A S/Os, cookers, big and small showers etc), floor areas and lengths of cable for circuits, RCD tripping times (all types, they love to throw you a curveball there) um i dunno they could ask anything, just read up as much as you can and most of all DON'T PANIC it will literally be over before you know it. I asked my assessor 'is that it?' after my one.

THE GOLDEN RULE: GET THE TEA ON AS SOON AS HE COMES THROUGH THE DOOR. Honestly you will not pass without giving him some tea. I find a few choc chip cookies tend to ease the marks along as well......

em just wat u guys implying that elecsa nap etc are cop outs!!!!!!!!!!!! lol only jokin im from sunny norn iron and belong to none of the above just like stickin my oar in:D
hi mark, it was a tongue in cheek remark as everyone on here seems to think nic assessments are easy and hey presto it got the response it was meant to :p

have you actually been assessed by nic yourself rocker, because standing on the sidelines watching and actually being on the end of the questions and tasks are as you know 2 completely diffreent things.

quite rightly if an assessor can see you know your stuff, he shouldnt need to push you too hard so that assessment would been deemed as easy and rightly so.

on the other hand if he doubts your abilities he should give you your moneys worth and make you prove yourself

thats the way i read it and i believe as most do that any scheme is available to whomever wants to pay their fees regardless of knowledge :eek:

niceic part p assesment is a walk in the park mate,they just want ure money,if ure not a **** u will walk it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocker ,, so u too the easy option , because why would you choose elesca over nic and then have to explain to people its the same thing.. NOBODY HAS EVER SAID TO ME I WAS HOPING FOR AN ELSCA SPARKS AND YOUR ONLY NIC,,, SEE MY POINT.

Just one little tip , when u submit your two jobs dont submit an outside supply or shed power on a pme it will open a can of worms.

Dont believe the posts that you will pass reguardless,,,

people who say that opt for the easier option and not NIC

Having been,many times, in a position to assess the accuracy of that statement and the relative assessment standards of one of the others.
Your perception of others being the easier option may need a major rethink ;)

My statement is for approved status assessments,so I cantl make no comment on what the difficulty of domestic installe may be set at

Are you saying that an applicant should avoid presenting work, that he will be registered or approved to undertake, because it may undermine that assessment ? :confused:

If that were the case then the applicant should give himself more time until he can safely carry out all works that would be expected of the registered spark

Sorry for being abrupt with the reply,but the bar appears to be set too low as it is,resulting in the electrical trade being seen by other trades etc as an easy entry option which it should not be :(

Yes mate I see your point, but you've got it totally wrong.

I went with elecsa because they are there and have been set up by the ECA as a contractors association.

NIC have been set up as more of a consumer protection style association.

Elecsa always help their people out (providing they havent actually done anything wrong) in times of need. If I have a question I need answering there is always a knowledgable person on the other end of the line. More importantly it is my understanding that if a customer compains to NIC about you, for whatever reason (lets be honest there are some mental people out there) NIC will always take the customer's side and drag you over the coals, no matter what. Effectively, as a consumer protection association, that is all they are there to do. Elecsa are there to help improve the contractors, not just 'deal with the naughty ones'. To that end, Elecsa will always look into the problem and, wherever possible, will take the contractor's side. To be honest if I'm going to pay the best part of five hundred quid per year that's the sort of association I want to be with.

In my area, there are a lot of NIC guys, and I have seen a lot of their works and to be honest it's shoddy at best. Is this an indicmemt to NIC contractors everywhere? I doubt it, but obviously we never get called out to fix installations that were done perfectly! There are a fair few elecsa guys round here as well and I don't think Ive ever had a call out on one of their jobs, I may be wrong though. So in ths area at least, NIC seems to be making a bit of a name for itself with bad contractors.

Flukey yea I understand it's a bit different just watching, but to be fair this guy knew I was there, and you'd think if you were being watched by an outside party you'd lay it on a bit, wouldn't you? This guy only asked 'how far from gas meter/stopcock for bonding' and 'what's the tripping time for an RCD? (which my mate got wrong by the way)'. Then got my mate to do a Zs reading on a ring final s/o and an RCD tripping test. The jobs were a c/u change in my mates house and a PIR light on his neighbours, which both got a cursory glance, and to be honest while they worked fine, the c/u looked like spaghetti junction inside! The bloke was pretty much totally unfriendly though and seemed to be a total jobsworth, couldn't be bothered at all. I was going to go with NIC before looking into it and seeing the benefits of elecsa, and I figured 'well elecsa must be pretty much the same assessment wise'.

My assessor asked me much tougher questions and much more questions during the course, probably about 10 in all. Showed him my job (only need 1 job for elecsa which is maybe where people get the idea it's an easy route) which was a c/u change in my house - it was very neat and tidy as are all my C/Us - I'm a bit funny about having nice looking wiring. He pulled several cables, none of which came out, was looking at any exposed copper, how the MCBs were distributed over the 2 RCDs and asking me why I have done it this way etc etc. Then said 'it's a very good job' which was nice. Then did a series of tests, Ze, R1R2 on lighting circ, 500V IR, Zs, RCD, and asked how I would perform other tests like bonding and ramp etc. All this but he wasn't a hardass - was really friendly and helpful, made me at ease all the way through and gave me loads of tips for doing the job. Really nice bloke actually.

As I say, these are my experiences and the NIC guy may have been on an off day, but this is why I always refute peoples accusations that elecsa are the easy route.

DES 56 , trust u to twist things , the guy asked for help to get through an assessment and i just pointed out that it would be easier if he avoided outside power on PME systems, you then twist it that im saying avoid things because u cant do them.
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT PEOPLE TAKE THE ASSESSOR TO JOBS THAT ARE SPOT ON.
If the guy wasnt a bit worried he wouldnt be asking , so my comment was a fair point, BUT YOU THEN GET ON YOUR HIGH HORSE AND TWIST IT

ROCKER
you said it ELESCA only want ONE job. and to be fair u based the whole nic on one observation, and you hide behind the fact that NIC are for the people and elesca are for the contractors ( which only comes out of the mouths of ELESCA MEMBERS)

As far as mr public complaining and the NIC taking their side , i make them right.
If they get a complaint they should investigate it properly and not just take the side of the contractor that pays them , If the contractor has done his job then whats the worry.
Thats why CUSTOMERS ask for NIC contractors because they can complain fairly if things go wrong.

As you said ELESCA basically backs up the people that pay them which does not make it a fair complaint proceedure , (your words)

AS I SAID EARLIER I KNOW DOZENS OF GOOD ELESCA CONTRACTORS WHO OFTEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT ITS THE SAME AS THE NIC , BUT HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY NIC CONTRACTOR BEING ASKED TO EXPLAIN WHY THE ARE NOT ELSCA

AND TO BE HONEST THE MORE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT NIC, THE HAPPIER I AM .. MORE WORK FOR ME

I'm afraid mate if you actually read what I said, ELECSA will investigate and support the contractor as long as they haven't done anything wrong, and in any case will attempt to allow you to rectify the problem. NIC will take the side of the customer in every case, will not investigate and will leave it to the contractor to prove they have acted correctly, which can be very hard to do when you have an unreasonable customer hell-bent on compensation.

I'm not 'hiding' behind anything, as I said I am basing this on MY experience with both parties, and I found the NIC assessment to be completely sub-par, exactly what people who say that they are a 'soft touch' say. In contrast, MY elecsa assessment was a lot harder, and what you would expect to have to go through before being unleashed on the public with a 500V tester. As I said, I can't vouch for every NIC assessment, and maybe the guy was having a bad day, but I can only comment on what I have actually experienced, and as you quite rightly say that is ONE NIC assessment, and is also ONE elecsa assessment. If I'm unable to form an opinion (and that's all I ever claimed it was) after seeing an assessment from both parties, then I would be interested to hear exactly how many elecsa assessments you have been present at.

As far as this recurring theme of customers expecting NIC - I have only ever had one customer question this, and after a very brief, maybe 30 second explaination of the system, the customer was fine with it.

I'm not sure why this is causing such an argument, from what started as just light hearted banter. If anyone thinks that I am being in any way agressive regarding this please let me know and I will think about deleting these posts, I am merely stating my opinion, and did not realise it was such a controversial one.

Rocker have you been part of an nic complaint as you seem to know so much about how they deal with it, ive had a complaint from a customer before christmas and after i had explained my side they totally backed me.

as i said please please stick to ELESCA

No mate but I do have 2 or 3 friends and one very good friend who are NIC and they are saying, after I have been telling them about elecsa, that next year they are considering changing. And I have been to one NIC assessment which, drawing my conclusions form your lack of response, you have not experienced through elecsa. This is how I am able to base my opinion on fact, where you seem to be able to base what you are stating as absolute fact on what appears to be 'what you reckon'.

I don't know why you chose to personally attack me and others on here, and I'm unsure how you can accuse people of taking the 'easy option' when you have clearly told this kid not to do something a little compicated for his assessment because it may 'open a can of worms'. No one's really mentioned this as, like I said before, up until this point it was all light hearted banter, but really if you're such a brilliant and by-the-book spark with the all singing, all dancing gods known as the NIC, and it's so important for everybody to be this way, why are you advising anyone to take shortcuts and easy routes?

Let's be honest, most of Joe Public havent got a clue about NIC, ELECSA, Napit or whoever. You get work because you're a good spark, not because you're with bloody NIC or whoever.

I would suggest to the powers that be that, after eddielarge has had his obligitory retort of course, that we close this damn thread as it's not getting anyone anywhere.

Well, there seems to be a lot of snobbery going on here.

It seems that the way things are NIC guys are are mainly Com, Ind and maybe Domestic.

I understand if you want to work in certain areas of electrical contracting you must be NIC.

So, if your work is all domestic why chose NIC as it seems that a lot of domestic guys choose other.

If I were the public I would choose a contractor that has a firm practice in the work being done not one that varies dramatically.

Maybe this has truth maybe not.

Just a few thoughts.

Reply to niceic assesment help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock