Discuss Niceic QS how much responsibility in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
whats everyone's view on the QS system used?
How much responsibility should a QS have, should they inspect all installation and testing going on within the company they work for and are they the fall guy if something goes wrong.
Would be interested from all the QS guys on here and the non QS as well.
Thanks

In my mind the QS, as the title suggests, should be supervising. For larger jobs they should regularly be on site overseeing the installation and testing. For smaller jobbing type works they should at least be spot checking their electricians work.

As ever, the employer needs to give their QS's sufficient time and resources to do their job properly.

There is a tick box on the NICEIC annual assessment form to say that the company has a suitable number of QS's. However there's no set ratio of QS to sparks, mates, apprentices etc.

I'm not a QS myself so others who are may have other opinions!

In my mind the QS, as the title suggests, should be supervising. For larger jobs they should regularly be on site overseeing the installation and testing. For smaller jobbing type works they should at least be spot checking their electricians work.

As ever, the employer needs to give their QS's sufficient time and resources to do their job properly.

There is a tick box on the NICEIC annual assessment form to say that the company has a suitable number of QS's. However there's no set ratio of QS to sparks, mates, apprentices etc.

I'm not a QS myself so others who are may have other opinions!
Anthonybragg is the guy to speak to on this subject

At the company I work for, 10% of jobs are spot checked and obviously all the certificates are reviewed before they are signed off, mainly to make sure they're filled out correctly and that there aren't any stupid Zs readings.

I agree with the Coroner in the Emma Shaw case.
The NICEIC QS system is flawed and open to abuse.
That aside, to my mind a QS should know the Electricians they are supervising and should be able to determine which need checking up on and which don't.
I would expect a QS to check every Certificate or report they are signing off on.

Not an expert in this issue so my thoughts may be flawed, from listening to friends the QS system is flawed from top to bottom, my example revolve around a good friend who was a QS his firm was NICEIC registered, he was not given the time to do his job properly, constant references to his signature being forged on certificates, the firm was only playing lip service to the rules, my friend eventually left, couldn't stand the abuse any more, the NICEIC eventually told them to do one and revoked their membership basically I think the firm was using their registration as a means to get more work, rather than producing good work. Not sure if the NICEIC was aware of what was going on at the time.

I wonder how many employers are aware of the scope in which a QS needs to do their job as a few I know are always working on the tools as well.
It seems you need 100% backing from your employer so you can live up to the role as it where.
Thanks for the input.

The trouble with the company I work for is that the people in the office that issue the work to the "engineers" don't have a clue and only care about getting jobs done on time so they can get their poxy £30 bonus. This means that they send the wrong person to the job who more often than not don't bother to do any sort of testing or certification. The QS isn't even aware of what jobs the idiots in the office are handing out. Therefore if there's no certificate to review then how can they go and do a spot check on their work?

Sounds like a 'start as you mean to go on' job and don't be bullied into changing your job role 2 months in. That advert IS how a QS should be doing the work and let's face it, they are not going to be twiddling thumbs waiting for stuff to do. All the best to Westway for having it down in writing as 'evidence'!

Reply to Niceic QS how much responsibility in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock