Discuss Niceic question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

guest119

When was the change in the NICEIC ref the line up of personnel?

IE Currently a Duty holder and one or more QS.
Previously a QM (must have/had 2391) who was responsible for sign off/review by, signature.

Boydy

Niceic just do what they want they also used to state that you had yo have 2 years on site experience as well as 2391, know people who have done 236 and 2391 and been given the role of QS they just make it up

Niceic just do what they want they also used to state that you had yo have 2 years on site experience as well as 2391, know people who have done 236 and 2391 and been given the role of QS they just make it up

Don't know if i'm reading this rightly or not?? But an Electrician with 2360 and 2391 will have far more than 2 years on site experience!! The replacement 2330 for 2360 has come and now gone, lol!!

Plus the fact, that older 2360 was in the day's of ''Real'' electrical qualifications, when you didn't find any ''multiple choice'' questions in the papers, you either had know the answer to pass, or you didn't and you failed!! lol!!

When was the change in the NICEIC ref the line up of personnel?

IE Currently a Duty holder and one or more QS.
Previously a QM (must have/had 2391) who was responsible for sign off/review by, signature.

Boydy

not entirely sure what you are asking all I can tell you is when I got my QS status I had 2391 and lots of years experience as do our other QS's

Sadly to pass 236 you needed no on site experience and sane goes for 2391 if your good at physics you could pass it, at no point on the 236 did you touch tools unless it was part of nvq's as an apprenticeship. I know people who have 236 and couldn't wire a house

Mr Mark Sparks,

What Im asking is re an apparent change in NICEIC conditions.

As I remember from, say 1990s was that an approved contractor had a Qualifying Manager (not qs) who was the face of the company with the NICEIC and did the yearly rounds with the inspector, signed off the sheets, calibrated the test gear etc etc.

Now the situation is that a Qualified Supervisor(s) sign off the test sheets and above him/them is a Duty Holder.

So the question in essence is when was the change, ie where it says signed for review by qualified supervisor it used to say signed for review by Qualifying Manager.......When?

Boydy

Sadly to pass 236 you needed no on site experience and sane goes for 2391 if your good at physics you could pass it, at no point on the 236 did you touch tools unless it was part of nvq's as an apprenticeship. I know people who have 236 and couldn't wire a house

Are you taking the Pee or what?? In the day's of the 2360 virtually everyone on that course was an apprentice, and working on the tools as a matter of course. I don't know what era your talking about, but i distinctly remember workshop classes being part of the 2360 course i did. No NVQs in my day, but when you had finished your time you were more than qualified to enter ''Any'' section of the electrical industry!!

I know people who have 236 and couldn't wire a house

Maybe, but that would be a guy that has probably spent all his time since passing out (many years) in industry, and would only need a minimal to little guidance on the finer points, and house bashing would give him little electrical problems. Now take a house basher and put him into an industrial environment!! No contest!! lol!! Or are you suggesting that the 2360 was an inferior qualification, than the 2330 you probably have?? If you are, then your only fooling yourself ...Big Time!! lol!!

I did 236 a and 236 b with day release, every Monday, and the other option (usually large companies) was block release something like a month about college and site. With the 236 a only you got your papers after 5 years and with the 236 b it was 4 years. Approved status came about after 2 years as a spark with the 236 b and recommendation from the company and 5 years with the 236 a.

Totally agree with E54, The 236 was a written exam, you either pass or fail, no guess work involved. And I think it would out do any of today’s courses just on the fact alone that you were sat there with pen and paper and had no answers to guess from.
It was at my time a 3-5 year apprenticeship spent on the tools, one day away for collage and one evening, 12 hrs a week for 3 years!
I left qualified and happy but in no sense did I ever think I knew everything, how dare people think that multi guess exams are even a test at all! The answers in front of you for god sake… my 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition test was like a joke, bring back apprenticeships that mean something and forget all the multi guess exams……. ((Regards Ed. QS without the multi guess exams))

Im in no way slagging the 236....but the 2330 lvl 2 and 3 where NOT multi choice exams!!!!! Well they were'nt when I did em any way!!!. We had to sit in a hall for a max of 2 1/2 hours for our written exams!!! I do believe though, that the 236 probably covered more than the 2330, just going by what other lads have told me but this was the course offered to me when I applied at college. I was lucky enough to find employmet as a mate within 2 weeks of starting college, so I gained the practical side aswell......but some of the younger lads on the course DIDNT have a clue cos they didnt care!!! And it showed cos they did not pass the written papers. So all Im saying is that the 2330 wasnt multi choice (when I did it)...they only multi choice exam I did was the 17th.....and what a waste of time & money that was..lol My ten year old could have past that, if ARE lass had taught him it.....lol

I did the 236 parts 1 and 2 with the c cert and AM1 and AM2, and there was lots of practical work within my 4/5 year course at college and the AM2 was all practical, well from memory it was a long time ago, but definately practical work involved and written exams too, unless my course was different haha.

Are you taking the Pee or what?? In the day's of the 2360 virtually everyone on that course was an apprentice, and working on the tools as a matter of course. I don't know what era your talking about, but i distinctly remember workshop classes being part of the 2360 course i did. No NVQs in my day, but when you had finished your time you were more than qualified to enter ''Any'' section of the electrical industry!!

I know people who have 236 and couldn't wire a house

Maybe, but that would be a guy that has probably spent all his time since passing out (many years) in industry, and would only need a minimal to little guidance on the finer points, and house bashing would give him little electrical problems. Now take a house basher and put him into an industrial environment!! No contest!! lol!! Or are you suggesting that the 2360 was an inferior qualification, than the 2330 you probably have?? If you are, then your only fooling yourself ...Big Time!! lol!!

The workshop classes were part of the bigger picture ie NVQ or whatever was around before that, not part of the 236. I'm not saying the 236 was not a good course cos it was and hasn't been replaced with anything like it. My simple point made was that some people have done the course and had no on site experience. Personally I did the same Mdj, spent loads of time in the workshop, but when I was at college there was adult classes on an evening just doing the 236 with no practical side to it, no AM1 or AM2.

The workshop classes were part of the bigger picture ie NVQ or whatever was around before that, not part of the 236. I'm not saying the 236 was not a good course cos it was and hasn't been replaced with anything like it. My simple point made was that some people have done the course and had no on site experience. Personally I did the same Mdj, spent loads of time in the workshop, but when I was at college there was adult classes on an evening just doing the 236 with no practical side to it, no AM1 or AM2.

As stated i don't know what era your talking about, but in my day the practical side of things was well and truly a good part of my 2360. I don't know about any adult training courses, can't say i remember any at that time, so can only assume your talking of long after i was in the system. lol!!

yes , but to get your fully qualified / training completed status you needed the AM2 skills assessment , and for that you needed on site experience - reading a book on electrical wouldnt cut it.

as a side comment , i wish the AM2 was re-instated as the final practical exam en route to becoming a spark , the nvq L3 is a load of money making bollox to be honest lol.

Did the am2 not get changed to some FICA nonsense that was all plastic cos the fail rate was high?i had an a young lad 10 years ago when I was employed who was quite bright time nearl out. He got sent with me to do a steel conduit job and I asked if he had done much of it. I've threaded a bit was the reply, spent two days with me showing him the basics. Job done.
i asked him what they did a t college and the project was to design a shopping centre installation.i think it was ploy to sex it up abit to make electrical work appear more complex than it really is.useless stuff that will never be used in their lifetime I bet.
The net result of this is a whole generation of half trained sparks with little clue of how to go about a job with out being breast fed by an older hand
i know its not everyday that a lot of sparks do conduit tray motors etc but you still need to know how to do it when the situation arises.

The modern AM2 doesn't contain putting any containment up at all, it's already fixed to the board for them.

They don't have to deal with pyro any more.

I know there are a few more changes to make the 'exam' easier just can't remember now.

Reply to Niceic question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock