Discuss NICEIC shocker! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scary cakes

Hi All,

Have just come off the phone to NICEIC, inquiring about requirements for fully approved status. Their advice was assessment involves any 5 jobs no matter how small, even 5 socket changes they reliably informed me. It was all very vague and unhelpful, which I found odd but they seemed better informed about the costs. No surprise I suppose.
I have worked in the electrical industry a number of years and have always wanted to set up on my own but never quite had the courage to see it through. But i cant leave it any longer and don't want to look back with regret. So, with mainly commercial experience, lots of PIR work I've decided to go for it.
Can anybody please tell me exactly what i need to do to acquire the NICEIC fully approved status?
The nature of the 5 pieces of work etc..

Any advice would be appreciated
Many Thanks

If you called them and they were vague and unhelpful as you say, have you considered calling another scheme ?
Do you have work lined up that requires you to have approved status ?

wouldn't surprise me if fitting a plug on a flex was good enough.

Throw a board change in there, a couple of circuit additions maybe such as extending a ring, or maybe an attic circuit. Exporting to a garage is always nice. To be honest I think the requirements go down every year.... stay on the safe side and at least show something that proves you're reasonably competent, but they'll probably accept any old tosh if you pay up. Disgraceful.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and as has been said, consider going elecsa like me! Although the two have more or less joined forces, they are still the better of the two.

I have a background of commercial work, office blocks etc.. Lots of PIR.
Have aways been under the impression that NICEIC is expected, preferred even appealing to clients. Is this not the case?

I would say it is generally expected, whether right or wrong.
It is expected by many people.
In my experience these people are generally labouring under the misconception that the NICEIC is a qualification you need in order to practice as an electrician.
I point out to customers that I am not with them, not required to be with them, am however registered with another scheme through my own choice, but it's not always relevant anyway.

I am only with Elecsa as a means to facilitate part P notifications and nothing else. I am not large enough as a business to warrant an approved membership just because it looks good.

My assessor said two large jobs rewires and board changes a EICR, a small job and a pat test job for my approved to be accepted

The only guidance notes you need is 1 and 3, i would recommend 8 too its very informative

if your a DI before you register for approved contractor then you only need to show 3 jobs

if your going through the hassle of getting registered and you mainly do commercial/testing works definately go for niceic AC!

alot of companies and insurance will insist on it still, and for this type of work elecsa etc aint worth a rub!(its ok for house-bashing and thats about it)

(Rightly or wrongly) you wont get taken seriously without it mate, trust me ive been there, and i got sick and tired of trying to explain I'm still competent without it, but it lost me lots of work and possible future contacts

save yourself the ballache

Im with NAPIT and I started up on my own a couple of years ago. My first on site inspection involved the guy coming to my house as i couldn't have done any work previously due to not being registered. They make sure you have all the insurances and qualifications etc and if not give you until next year to get them (qualifications that is). I just had to show i could test competently and he particularly made sure of the small things like making sure you disconnect the main earth to do a Ze and then connect it up before turning the power back on. He also asked a couple of theory questions such as whats the max permitted Ze value for TNCS system. Easy peasy baby!

Im with NAPIT and I started up on my own a couple of years ago. My first on site inspection involved the guy coming to my house as i couldn't have done any work previously due to not being registered. They make sure you have all the insurances and qualifications etc and if not give you until next year to get them (qualifications that is). I just had to show i could test competently and he particularly made sure of the small things like making sure you disconnect the main earth to do a Ze and then connect it up before turning the power back on. He also asked a couple of theory questions such as whats the max permitted Ze value for TNCS system. Easy peasy baby!

Thing is no-one specifies NAPIT though do they! Lol

We are registered with the BSI. Although most people spec NICEIC it has never held us back. Once you explain it's the same thing just different body it isn't a problem.

Insurance companies can be a bit of a pain, you just have to educate them a little, and let them know they should not only list the NICEIC as approved!

We are registered with the BSI. Although most people spec NICEIC it has never held us back. Once you explain it's the same thing just different body it isn't a problem.

Insurance companies can be a bit of a pain, you just have to educate them a little, and let them know they should not only list the NICEIC as approved!

yes that's fine and dandy if thats what your happy with but i cant see how you can be content with paying your subscription fees every year then have to do the job yourselves of explaining to these all companies that you are actually registered/competent every time they pull you up?

i expect more for my money

yes that's fine and dandy if thats what your happy with but i cant see how you can be content with paying your subscription fees every year then have to do the job yourselves of explaining to these all companies that you are actually registered/competent every time they pull you up?

i expect more for my money

It's fine keep giving the NIC money if your happy with them having a Monopoly and too much power over the industry, if your not switch and help make a difference to get them on an even keil.

Reply to NICEIC shocker! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock