Discuss Nightmare of a day. RCD tripiing under any load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

brizospark

Have had one of them days. I had a board change to do and a few other bits and bobs so everything was going great until I tried to put power back on.

Basically I have replaced a 3036 board with a split load Wylex board. One half of the board is working fine but the other half's RCD is tripping as soon as anything is plugged into it.

If I remove all plugs from sockets then the RCD holds but as soon as I plug anything in, kettle, sky box, TV, it trips instantly. On this side of the board is the cooker, 1 x lighting circuit and 2 x ring mains, funny enough the RCD isn't tripping when the lighting circuit or cooker is on.

Now I have checked that I have neutrals from correct circuits going to the correct neutral bar, several times and these are OK. I tried replacing the RCD itself with the one that was OK and it still tripped. What else is strange is that the kitchen ring is on the side of the board which is fine but if I plug anything into a kitchen socket the RCD which isnt even protecting this is tripping!! I opened up sockets and everything looked OK but it was getting late on so I replaced the offending RCD with a main switch I had in van just so the couple have power on tonight before I go back again tomorrow. Switched on with RCD removed and everything fine.

Anyone had experience with this problem before? Any advice much appreciated

With a borrowed neutral, shared neutral or split neutral or whatever you call it the RCD won't trip until there's some current flowing. If there's no load current then there's no fault current so it will hold if you unplug everything and turn all the lights off.

Rather than using the RCD to do your fault finding use your normal tester and your mega tester if necessary.

It could also be a neutral to earth fault but your IR testing ruled that out. Right?

Yes sounds like to me like a borrowed neutral. Have they had extensions done you will need to break each circuit up and test in stages some where some one had tapped into a neutral or you could try try putting all socket circuits on one side of the RCD

Sounds like a existing fault somewhere on wiring I.e nipped cable in box etc creating a existing fault on system once all the appliances are plugged in could just be cresting enough leakage to trip rcd. Had that one before, customer had used a 16mm back box whilst adding a new socket in kiddies bedroom!!! and cables were pushed against it! I came along changed d.b and found the fault 5 hours later! Pulling my hair out!

It's either N-E fault in which case a simple global test will show it up and you can narrow it down to a circuit from there or it's a borrowed neutral, in which case a simple test will show it up.
Borrowed neutrals are usually on the landing light in my experience, should be an easy one to sort mate.

What's confusing me is why when I plug anything into kitchen socket covered by RCD A is it tripping RCD B? Surely this means it can't be a N to E fault as it would trip RCD B if this was the case

I'd also suggest neutral to earth fault somewhere, and not necessarily on the circuits on the problematic RCD.

Could there be a borrowed neutral at that kitchen socket itself. Turn the rcd off covering that socket and turn other rcd on. Test between n-e at the problematic socket and if its showing voltage to earth it's a borrowed neutral! Sounds like a fault I would love to find!

Could there be a borrowed neutral at that kitchen socket itself. Turn the rcd off covering that socket and turn other rcd on. Test between n-e at the problematic socket and if its showing voltage to earth it's a borrowed neutral! Sounds like a fault I would love to find!

It's not just this kitchen socket it is any socket in house covered by either RCD

Reply to Nightmare of a day. RCD tripiing under any load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock