Discuss no earth at socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Miketwinny

in the picture theres no earth at the socket above the worktop, the earth is broken from the JB to the socket somewhere and is not accessable. can I run a single earth between the two sockets.its a 20 amp radial cct.

ooooo.jpg

as i read that diagram, the dotted line across the top is a T/E feed with a broken cpc.if that's the case, probably drilled/screwed when fitting cupboards. you don't know if the L and N are damaged. time to start digging.

But if it is a ring and there's no earth at the socket, the cpc must be broken both sides of the socket, or unconnected within the socket itself. Is there definitely earth at the sockets below the worktop? Is the disconnect in the junction box?

PJ

So can you disconnect the faulty cable at both the socket and the junction box, and insert a new cable where you have shown an earth cable? Assuming the junction box is accessible?

Or do the dotted lines mean the cables are all buried and inaccessible?

But if it is a ring and there's no earth at the socket, the cpc must be broken both sides of the socket, or unconnected within the socket itself. Is there definitely earth at the sockets below the worktop? Is the disconnect in the junction box?

PJ
theres earth continuity at the sockets below the worktop, the broken earth must be between the JB and socket above the worktop.

So can you disconnect the faulty cable at both the socket and the junction box, and insert a new cable where you have shown an earth cable? Assuming the junction box is accessible?

Or do the dotted lines mean the cables are all buried and inaccessible?
there is a JB but dont know exact location and its not accessible

can I leave the L & N connected and disconnect the broken CPC, then run a new CPC in 1.5mm2 earth cable from the bottom socket to the higher one..?

that is probget the cupboards off and start digging. bet there's a screw throughably not MF the cable. also, if that JB is buried, trhen you have cables in non prescribed zones and an inaccessible JB

Concerns as above is why the earth is broken it would suggest a pierced and/or damaged cable even if it passes insulation test it is possible the outer sheath is damaged thus should be replaced.

What you are asking about running a separate earth can be done but if it has no mechanical protection (run surface) then 4mm minimum.

Again i stress the concern is why the earth is missing... the diagram you did shows a ring around the sockets if this is the case the earth must be lost in both directions?

as i see it, it's not a ring, but 2 radial branches from a JB. his vertical line on the left is a proposed rout for a new bit of cpc.

as i see it, it's not a ring, but 2 radial branches from a JB. his vertical line on the left is a proposed rout for a new bit of cpc.

Ah get it now .... still suggests damaged cable so no to his suggestion leaving L/N and running additional earth. Its a damaged cable and the reality is to get digging as has been stated

You need to find that junction box as it may be the earth has just not been connected for that socket.
If the cable is damaged then I would remove (or at least disconnect) that cable and run a full new cable from the lower socket to the upper, then you have no problems with a fault on the hidden cable.
cupboard socket changes.jpg

PS check on top of the cupboard ... you'll be surprised how often you find a joint feeding the sockets on there... thanks to years of kitchen fitters with little electrical knowledge.

3/10 for the artwork btw..... :28:

would like to disconnect from JB & higher socket then connect higher & lower sockets with new cable but cant remove cupboards to find JB so I can disconnect cable with broken or disconnected earth.

Reply to no earth at socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net