Discuss no earth on lighting r1+r2 what do you put on sheet in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes. And C3 on those circuits with text explaining the reason. Providing no metal/class I fittings.

PS. It's not a certificate. It's a report.

It does not state that you can do it with the clients agreement.

It states that you need to try and get the client to agree to either rewiring the lighting circuits or the addition of a CPC installed to all accessible points. If the client refuses this then a fall back would be to offer to replace all class 1 accessories with class 2 or the circuits can not be reconnected if this is also refused then.

AS AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT then a risk assessment should be carried out with the additional tests listed. If any of the additional test fail then thoes lighting circuits can not be re connected.

On completion a record of any non compliances must be made in the comments box

I would also add the risk assessments carried out with the results, this may require an additional sheet of paper attached to your report documenting the chain of events and the clients refusal to carry out remidal works and the additional risk assessment tests and results.

I would have thought that this senario would be down to replacing the CU due to damage or fault as if the client refused to renew the circuits at the same time as a CU upgrade you would probably walk away as alarm bell would start to ring.

At the end of the day as you are the technically competent person offering advice you carry the can and can not rely on a defence that the client was happy for me to do it.

Last edited:
you write what you are saying . got a call out to job where their was a fault no cpc any where
metal back boxes and plastic fronts in some rooms. and in others rooms not one back box just the plate screwed to the wall
told the owner rewire of lights . she was more concerned about her bloody alarm .I asked her the alarm was fitted by a spark she said
no bonding gas or water I then walked away

Last edited:
Personally I'd put a c2 code on the EICR as I'd class no cpc as a potentially dangerous situation although there's no immediate risk they certainly could be. let's face it who's going to argue with you. If it's not safe it's not safe
I'd put the c2 code on your Observations sheet and put Lim in all the boxes regarding test results sheet. Also if you want put an operatonal limitation on your Observations sheet explaing why no tests have been carried out on the circuits in question.

in my book no cpc on any pvc pendant or switch whether pvc or not is a c2 many times I have gone to many
jobs and found metal switches on pvc surface boxes . pvc surface boxes they come with lugs for the cpc yes

I'd put the c2 code on your Observations sheet and put Lim in all the boxes regarding test results sheet. Also if you want put an operatonal limitation on your Observations sheet explaing why no tests have been carried out on the circuits in question.
How is it a Limitation when the conductor is not present to do the reading in the first place. It is Not Applicable. Is it not like putting the absence of rcd testing as a Limitation because none Exist?

westward 10 the man. you said about that daves code recommendation on ecir point me in the write direction please
Most people on here share the opinion that if there are no accessories which require an earth then Code 3, if there are unearthed Class 1 accessories then Code 2 as fault protection is not provided. This must be your decision though, some people feel Code 2 regardless of the current situation due to the fact that in the future an unknowing person may fit a Class1 fitting or accessory to the system no matter how many notices you stick on the CU.

Most people on here share the opinion that if there are no accessories which require an earth then Code 3, if there are unearthed Class 1 accessories then Code 2 as fault protection is not provided. This must be your decision though, some people feel Code 2 regardless of the current situation due to the fact that in the future an unknowing person may fit a Class1 fitting or accessory to the system no matter how many notices you stick on the CU.

I like this answer, as on the day of the test it is what you find. Just like the MOT test.
Reguarding the future modifications is that not down to the suitably qualified Electrician carrying out the work refusing to modify the circuit if it does not comply to the current version of BS7671.

I like this answer, as on the day of the test it is what you find. Just like the MOT test.
Reguarding the future modifications is that not down to the suitably qualified Electrician carrying out the work refusing to modify the circuit if it does not comply to the current version of BS7671.
You would hope so but while people can go to B&Q and buy all sorts of bits the risk will always be there.

You would hope so but while people can go to B&Q and buy all sorts of bits the risk will always be there.

Unfortunately you are correct. However we can only look after ourselves, and when one of us visits each n 5 years time it may be a code 2 and we can charge to correct. HOPEFULLY.

Reply to no earth on lighting r1+r2 what do you put on sheet in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock