Discuss No Earth in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

pritch

-
Reaction score
I went around a friend of the family today to do few jobs today and found a right old mess.
1960s flat,conduit system ,metal switches ,sockets and chandeliers.
No earth to any light or sockets. No continuity on the conduit from any point to board. (Good Ze)
I can't rewire because the conduit isn't continuous and any inspection joints/box lids have been decorated over in the last 40 years. Its a 400 grand flat so trunking is a big no no. The only way is a full rip out which she doesn't want because she's 78 and her husband just died. I was hoping to get some good zs readings and earth tag all the back boxes but its' a bit pointless now.
Anyone else come across this?

I went around a friend of the family today to do few jobs today and found a right old mess.
1960s flat,conduit system ,metal switches ,sockets and chandeliers.
No earth to any light or sockets. No continuity on the conduit from any point to board. (Good Ze)
I can't rewire because the conduit isn't continuous and any inspection joints/box lids have been decorated over in the last 40 years. Its a 400 grand flat so trunking is a big no no. The only way is a full rip out which she doesn't want because she's 78 and her husband just died. I was hoping to get some good zs readings and earth tag all the back boxes but its' a bit pointless now.
Anyone else come across this?

Does the flat have solid floors? if yes and the client does not want trunking, I would walk, they cant be short of readies in a £400,000: flat or can they? explain your findings and suggest that you carry out an EICR, your last point did you attempt to take Zs measurements?

Been there in a commercial system. Many conduit joints turned out to be OK but there were some critical ones that had corroded O/C that we couldn't reach. Ran in new CPCs where possible, connected every accessible point, any lengths that were still uncertain or likely to have duff joints both ends we had to expose a bit of the tube run and connect a CPC onto it externally. I have used 1.0 solid core CPC for remedial work on small conduit systems, it can usually be squeezed in and is often adequate using adiabatic sizing if the run is not too long.

Problems with old steel conduit and corrosion isn't unusual and from experience it's almost impossible to pull an extra CPC through because the corrosion makes the inside of the conduit rough like sandpaper. I don't see any other way than a rewire and I'd be back-peddling out of the place if they're reluctant.

they cant be short of readies in a £400,000: flat or can they?
The original post quoted the lady as being 78years old. She ad her husband could have bee there the 40years mentioned and paid next to nowt for it. Just because she lives in a £400k place doesn't mean she is loaded.
Not criticising, just commenting on the rise in property prices in some places .

Reply to No Earth in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net