Discuss no earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sima24

Hi, been to look at a rewire today and no earth connection at all. Tried to contact supply company to enquire weather the property is connected to a pme system but no joy after holding most the afternoon. I presume supply company doesnt have to supply an earth but just wondering if they would upgrade to pme or not? Or possibly it is a pme system but earth has been disconnected at some point (no sign of pme label tho) any views appreciated. Thanks.

Yes thats the plan if their is no earth connection. Just seems strange for the location and age of the property that their appears to be no earth or rod currently installed.

Test it as 2 wire test. Or look in street and see what they have done to cables, are they still overhead, but not earthed down the poles every so often. Go knock on a few doors in the street, and explain what your trying to establish.

Its one of the biggest pitfalls when quoting for or carrying out electrical work edpecially in older properties.

The biggest excuse they use is "its looped of next door and they neen to be in for us to pme it".

Under the old 16th edition, it wasn't reccomended that a smoke alarm should be connected to an rcd. And I would mention that to them that if there were a loss arising from smoke alarms not working due to loss of power and flat batteries. They may be called in court to share or take the blame for not supplying a reliable power supply intended for public use.

Within a week I would have a date for them to do a pme. The trouble is they keep changing the number for the network operator.

Its one of the biggest pitfalls when quoting for or carrying out electrical work edpecially in older properties.

The biggest excuse they use is "its looped of next door and they neen to be in for us to pme it".

Under the old 16th edition, it wasn't reccomended that a smoke alarm should be connected to an rcd. And I would mention that to them that if there were a loss arising from smoke alarms not working due to loss of power and flat batteries. They may be called in court to share or take the blame for not supplying a reliable power supply intended for public use.

Within a week I would have a date for them to do a pme. The trouble is they keep changing the number for the network operator.

You in the right thread?
Looped supply
Smokes
16th

Thanks. Would it be possible to temp connect an earth cable into the neutral henley thats already their and perform a ze test?

You said there is no earth, have you established what system is there? TNS etc? connecting to a neutral if you have no idea what the earthing arrangement is even if the reading isn't there could be opening a can of worms, have you got a picture of the cut out and meter we can look at before you kill someone?

Thats the whole point of the question. As already stated their is no earth connection or rod, so im pressuming its a tt system in which case i will rod, the aim of my question is is it possible to test just incase it is a tncs system and someone over the years has disconnected main cpc

well it's pretty easy to determine whether it is tt or a tns, pretty straight forward, if tt then you wasted your time on the phone, get a rod in and go from there, if tns you should know if an earth is available by looking at the incommer and using a loop tester.

Thats the whole point of the question. As already stated their is no earth connection or rod, so im pressuming its a tt system in which case i will rod, the aim of my question is is it possible to test just incase it is a tncs system and someone over the years has disconnected main cpc

I doubt its TNCs, very unlikely, you would know by the incommer cut out unless very old.

Thanks. Yes it is very old and im 90% sure its a tt system, however didnt know if their was a simple way of testing to confirm, as iv never come across this situation before

the aim of my question is is it possible to test just incase it is a tncs system and someone over the years has disconnected main cpc

No

You need the supplier to tell you

The cost with Western power was £90 and they fit the piece of earth and a block
Alternatively do what I did,d fit your own piece of earth and block and they connect for £35

Cheers, yeh i tried that today, no joy. Maybe i will try their sales line tomorrow, sure i will get straight through

Please dont connect an earth to the neutral to test for Ze, whats the point you may aswell test between live & neutral its the same thing.If its a TNS do a loop test between the cable sheath & live, for TNCS do a loop test between live and the earth terminal provided on the cut out
,no reading no PME connection. Sounds to me its a TT system & poss using the water main as the source of earthing!

Cheers, yeh i tried that today, no joy. Maybe i will try their sales line tomorrow, sure i will get straight through

You should not be talking to the sales line. Press whichever button gets you through to the power cut dept, and from there you should be able to talk to someone regarding getting an engineer out within 48 hrs to sort the earthing out. I find it strange that there is no sign of an earth at all, past or present...

had this one more than once....

Like mdj says stick a rod in the ground, get a reading and see if you need any more rods.
or alternatively you could do it right...

get 3X 5/8" rods 2 connectors and a striking top...

dig a hole where you intend to site the rod (about a meter away from the building so as not to intercept any foundation/building rubble)...you dig the hole where you intend to site the rod to ensure there are no buried services there....
once you have verified its safe to drive rods down...start doing so...once the first rod is in connect the second rod onto the first and carry on driving it in...
once the second rod is in get a test on it....
you may not need the third rod...if not then the wholesalers should accept it back as long as it hasn`t been used/damaged....

Reply to no earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock