Discuss no earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes you have missed something. It is an existing TT system of which I was upgrading the rod as it was giving 125 ohms, which technically satisfies the BGB, but it reality is a bit rubbish. The 0.45 is the resistance of my bonded pipework (underground gas and water pipes) when tested without the earth stake (new or old) connected, not the service head. As I know we shouldn't rely on bonding for our earth path I set about replacing the rod, which got it down to 44.

I was joking about peeling back the plastic off my incoming cable and wrapping the earth wire around the armour.
so lets say you got just within 200....
would you be satisfied with this...?
as far as BS7671 is concerned its good....
but its time to ask yourself what you truely believe....

He's already said that he had 125 ohms so he decided to improve it. So no, he wouldn't be happy with 200 ohms. Daz

so lets say you got just within 200....
would you be satisfied with this...?
as far as BS7671 is concerned its good....
but its time to ask yourself what you truely believe....

The tooth fairys actually a fit blonde 20something.

Father Christmas is real, but an incline tells me he's related to Gary Glitter.

The Easter Bunny is just a bored office ----, wanting a change of career.

& Ed Miliband is Wallace from Wallace and Grommit.

Well, if he's not happy with 125 ohms, then why would he be happy with 'just under 200 ohms'? I don't get where you're going with this? Daz

Well, if he's not happy with 125 ohms, then why would he be happy with 'just under 200 ohms'? I don't get where you're going with this? Daz
i`m just being picky...
no , really what i mean is the regs state 200 ohms....totally ridiculous...
even 100 would be pants...
well planned and sited rods can return almost TN levels .....

At least one person can see why I'm getting exasperated! I wasn't happy with 125, so upgraded the rod, and they ignore that and still say

"would you be happy with it?"
"Oh yes he would, cause the BGB told him so!! lol!!"

And when the existing rod is in a rubble-free position they still want me to move it a metre down the garden to avoid non-existent rubble. Now who's blindly following the regs?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least one person can see why I'm getting exasperated! I wasn't happy with 125, so upgraded the rod, and they ignore that and still say

"would you be happy with it?"
"Oh yes he would, cause the BGB told him so!! lol!!"

And when the existing rod is in a rubble-free position they still want me to move it a metre down the garden to avoid non-existent rubble. Now who's blindly following the regs?
this isn`t in the regs strops....

Good. Next rod I do I'll chisel a bit of wall out so the rod is touching the wall and there's room for the sh1tty green box to go on top of it!

I'm the very last person here, to ''blindly follow'' any code or regulation!! lol!!

You talk some real crap sometimes, you haven't a clue whats below your rod position set just 30cm from the house wall. When i talk about rubble, i'm not just talking about the solid crap that gets thrown out, but all the other old building materials that just get tipped out of the building during construction, most of which won't be doing the soil any favours in the conductivity stakes. As i stated earlier, in the type of soil you have driven a 2.4m coupled rod into, i'd be looking or expecting to see initially, around 15 ohms or thereabouts in an ideal position. But hey, what the hell do i know, compared to your wealth of knowledge and experience!!

I'm the very last person here, to ''blindly follow'' any code or regulation!! lol!!

You talk some real crap sometimes, you haven't a clue whats below your rod position set just 30cm from the house wall. When i talk about rubble, i'm not just talking about the solid crap that gets thrown out, but all the other old building materials that just get tipped out of the building during construction, most of which won't be doing the soil any favours in the conductivity stakes. As i stated earlier, in the type of soil you have driven a 2.4m coupled rod into, i'd be looking or expecting to see initially, around 15 ohms or thereabouts in an ideal position. But hey, what the hell do i know, compared to your wealth of knowledge and experience!!
eng...let him bat on mate...
he just dont get it....

Please dont connect an earth to the neutral to test for Ze, whats the point you may aswell test between live & neutral its the same thing.If its a TNS do a loop test between the cable sheath & live, for TNCS do a loop test between live and the earth terminal provided on the cut out
,no reading no PME connection. Sounds to me its a TT system & poss using the water main as the source of earthing!

Surley on a TNCS the earth terminal provided is the neutral too??

This is what you are consistently ignoring: I DO know there is no rubble/solid there as there was already a rod there. What can't you understand about that?

This is what you are consistently ignoring: I DO know there is no rubble/solid there as there was already a rod there. What can't you understand about that?
no you dont...
the amount of badly planned, poorly sited rods is legion....
just because `there was a rod there already` doesnt necessarilly meen it was installed correctly.what eng is trying to do here is explain how to carry out the job properly...
anyone can just smack a rod into the ground....what you have to remember is once you have left that site.....the work you have carried out here will have to stand up to varying conditions....whilst still being able to do its job...
come on, this is the main earthing arrangements where talking about for christs sake....

Ok, I do understand how to do it properly, and come the summer (if we get one) I will re-test my Ra and see what I've got in 'least favourable conditions'. (Its my house, remember.) As it stands at 44 ohms disconnection times are satisfactory, so the earthing is adequate.

My spring has now wound down.

Reply to no earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock