Discuss No Main Earthing Condictor or Ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
This has thrown me - obviously wet behind the ears.

A customer has asked me to carry out an EICR - but when I get there - it seems one has been done already....

It states 'no earth, no RCD'. Sure enough when I looked around there was a new service head from the DNO-very long tails?..

And no earthing conductor - as in no Ze......

So I phone the DNO - they say that yes they have not provided an earth - yes that they can provide one (TNCS). That I get....

But then they say you can just install an RCD main switch? That's what's thrown me - I know you can/should do that for TT systems - but that's based on some sort of earth electrode somewhere.

I can't find one?

Is this a case of install earthing electrode and RCD or get DNO to provide an MET?

It's a case of both.
Knock in a rod and use an upfront RCD as a temp measure until the DNO provide their earth connection.

If the customer does not want the temp work done get them to sign a danger notification to cover yourself.

This has thrown me - obviously wet behind the ears.

Is this a case of install earthing electrode and RCD or get DNO to provide an MET?

Yes install earth rod etc -TT supply, or ask the DNO cost of providing an earthing facility TNC-S. Think the latter would be better.

Edit; too slow

But then they say you can just install an RCD main switch?

a case of some muppet at DNO talking through his arse. an RCD should never be used as a substitute for an earthing system. only as a back-up with a high Ze on a TT.

my understanding is the dno does not have to provide an earth, if however they do supply one , then they have to maintain the earth. like wise a alteration such as a new service head then after it should not be left in any worse situation than before. so if they changed the service head and previously there was a earth connection and now they have left it without one then you arguably can force them to make it safe. be that provide an earth connection or install a tt rod. it should not come down to the homeowner to get an electrician in as the dno have in effect made the system unsafe. im sure somewhere in the various laws there will be something about this.

Perhaps the install had an earth rod, aka the old lead water pipe, which has since been removed?

bY THE BYE gAVIN, CAN I JUST BRING YOU TO TASK ON YOUR GRAMMAR. :)

bY THE BYE gAVIN, CAN I JUST BRING YOU TO TASK ON YOUR GRAMMAR. :)
@Midwest point taken, My grammar is sometimes good sometimes bad, depends if i am tired and typing the way i think things in my head.. being a country bumpkin from Somerset just being able to speak English coherently is a sign of intelligence. writing and grammar, well that is a bonus...

Reply to No Main Earthing Condictor or Ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock