Discuss Nominal Voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Why has nominal voltage gone from 250Volts back in the good old days, to 240Volts, several years ago, to 230Volts more recently?

What is the legal max and min tolerance in the 230Volt level?

European Harmonisation is the answer to the first question, and the second is +10% and -6%.

However, it's all smoke and mirrors as nothing has actually changed in the distribution network!

It hasn’t changed, the DNO’s have more sense than the EU and IET.

It could be done quite easily at the 33/11KV transformer on load tap changers. I tried it at work, it caused nothing but trouble.

It's daft they changed to 230v to harmonise with Europe but put in the tolerance to effectively keep it at 240V. All the voltage round here seems to be around the 242v mark.

I was reading about a voltage optimiser in pro electrician mag that held voltage at a clean 220 (i think) and apparently it saves the install owner billions of pounds a year! ;-)

By the way if ukip came to power would we go back to 240v and red and black wiring colours?! Not a deal breaker considering they are otherwise a bunch of nazis...

The voltage is never stable, during any part of the day, have taken measurements lets say 237v gone back few hours later 242v. Must say never seen it lower than 230v had it at 252v. lol (single phase)

Its never changed from 433/250V

Just because the EU and IET say it should be 400/230V doesn’t mean anyone listens to them.

A standard DNO 1000KVA transformer:

11/.433KV
OAN
Dyn11
4.75% reactance.
Tap changer (if fitted) ± 5%

Its the same old same old, less volts for your money:yesnod:. The DNO wants to keep putting up the bills, but wants you to have less volts for it. Wait till they suss out that by giving you less volts, they give you more currents, so they will put the bills up even more. Anyone noticed that most 20 packs of smokes have come down to the ÂŁ6.00 mark ( i only use the cheap ones) but they only have 18 or 19 smokes in them. Its called rip off Britain.

Cheers............Howard

240V isn't 'recent', it has been around for much of the time for which the UK has had a single standard voltage. Before that time you would have found 100,105,110,120,200,205,210,220,230,235,240,250 and possibly others all in use in different areas, some AC, some DC. To date, 240 has been the most standard standard, and it still is albeit under a different name.

Its the same old same old, less volts for your money:yesnod:. The DNO wants to keep putting up the bills, but wants you to have less volts for it. Wait till they suss out that by giving you less volts, they give you more currents, so they will put the bills up even more. Anyone noticed that most 20 packs of smokes have come down to the ÂŁ6.00 mark ( i only use the cheap ones) but they only have 18 or 19 smokes in them. Its called rip off Britain.

Cheers............Howard

This was the point I was making earlier however it is safer the lower they make it in the plus side

240V isn't 'recent', it has been around for much of the time for which the UK has had a single standard voltage. Before that time you would have found 100,105,110,120,200,205,210,220,230,235,240,250 and possibly others all in use in different areas, some AC, some DC. To date, 240 has been the most standard standard, and it still is albeit under a different name.

Has it?

Last time I checked 433V Ph→Ph = 250V Ph→N

IMG_0015_zps1157a914.jpg

315kva20tx4_zps8eaeda81.jpg

A single phase transformer to put the final nail in.

DSC_0503-CROP_zpsfec3db34.jpg

Reply to Nominal Voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net