Discuss Non dimmable led strip and dimmable light on same dimmer switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

london-electric

Hi

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light here .
Have a customer who has had work done on his flat.
They have installed an led strip around a ceiling bulkhead (non dimmable) and a pendant style led (dimmable) light in the centre of the bulkhead which run off the same supply and controlled via a 1 gang dimmer.

I advised the customer that as there is only 1 switch line controlling both lights that this shouldn't be on a dimmer as this will send the led strip faulty even if always kept at full voltage.
(As from experience I've seen this happen before)

The customer is adamant that he seen this done before and that the designer who sold him all the lights said it's possible to run these two fittings off the same switch line with the central light dimming and the led not being affected by the dimmer - he said it was using some kind of voltage regulator on the led strip to avoid the fluctuation in voltage caused by the dimmer (or cancel it out basically)

Has anyone seen anything like this done before as i've looked at quite a few wholesale websites and can't see anything of the such on general sale.

Any help would be much appreciated ....and yes I have told him to go back and ask the designer what it was they wild recommend but so far no joy so thought I'd take it into my own hands

Thanks

Quite frankly, dimming LED lamps is a bit of a minefield. I only use dimmers that the manufacturers of the lamps, state that they are compatible, and you should not mix different manufactured dimmable LED lamps on the same circuit. There are some dimmers becoming available, that the manufacturer of the dimmer says it's compatible with must makes of Lamps though, Varilight have one I think.
Seem to remember though, not to use a non-dimmable lamp in a dimmable circuit as it may cause damage to the lamp. Loads of hits on the internet about the subject.

Your clients set up seems a bit bizarre in any case?

I cannot see the system you describe working well.
I would expect that the non dimmable one would probably work for a while on full brightness, but would cut out or flicker badly at lower dimming levels.
A voltage regulator would not be of much use as the power would not be there to regulate, though it would help to some extent at higher brightness levels, but the voltage regulator would probably also be struggling with the dimmer waveform.
For the cost of another cable and a two gang switch I cannot see the point.

Whilst it may work as described under some circumstances,
but this is dodgy stuff and NOT best practice !
So any electrician who values his licence will be very hesitant.
this is not a good thing, please find another way.

You could try and take power for the LEDS off the same switch
BUT
before the dimer.

Reply to Non dimmable led strip and dimmable light on same dimmer switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock