Discuss Non fire rated down lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bit bored, so I thought I'd post this.

I see that Scholmore Group have just released a non fire rated down light (I know there're others); SCOLMORE GROUP - OVIA LIGHTING | Inceptor Pico, integrated LED downlight - https://www.scolmore.com/products/inceptor-pico/

It seems unusual to introduce such a product, when most organisations guidance suggest fitting fire rated downlights in domestic properties, even when not specifically required, especially when they are only a few pounds cheaper than their other product, the micro?

I think there is confusion over fitting fire rated downlights in domestic properties when it is not required at all. Plasterboard ceilings are not considered fire compartment ceilings even though it is suggested they should give 30 minutes protection to the upper floor, whether they are fire rated or not will have no effect on this.

also, i think, in an integral garage where there is accommodation ( bedroom) above.

also, i think, in an integral garage where there is accommodation ( bedroom) above.
Yes but only if you breach the actual fire resistant material - if you just cut through the plasterboard then it's fine to use non-fire rated still (my understanding) - my garage has plasterboard then a gap then some fire proof layer, not sure what, just remember the builder explaining it to me.

Yes but only if you breach the actual fire resistant material - if you just cut through the plasterboard then it's fine to use non-fire rated still (my understanding) - my garage has plasterboard then a gap then some fire proof layer, not sure what, just remember the builder explaining it to me.
You are quite correct. If there is a separate dwelling above a fire compartment below is required, plasterboard does not perform this task. If you have a block of flats each dwelling is constructed to create separate fire compartments but not necessarily between floors in each individual flat. In a house there is no fire compartments and the plasterboard acts as a 30 minute barrier only to allow evacuation of occupants.

don'tknow how they do it these days, but with an integral garage, they used to double board it. now the void is probably filled with insulating girilla fur. ( mike look out).

don'tknow how they do it these days, but with an integral garage, they used to double board it. now the void is probably filled with insulating girilla fur. ( mike look out).

I'll be opening mine up a bit to drop a CCTV cable in to the garage, so I'll find out in the not so distant future.

There used to a requirement that if a room exists above a garage a specific thickness of plasterboard was required, this was down to the fact the garage was deemed a higher risk due to the likely presence of petroleum.

There used to a requirement that if a room exists above a garage a specific thickness of plasterboard was required, this was down to the fact the garage was deemed a higher risk due to the likely presence of petroleum.[QUOTE

or electricians attempting DIY car repairs.

This has been posted before, can't provide a link or allow to cut & paste; Best Practice Guides - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/best-practice-guides/

Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide No. 5 (Issue 2)

Electrical installations and their impact on the fire performance of domestic premises used as single family houses. Down lights page 10.

https://www.charnwood.gov.uk/files/...est practice and The Building Regulations.pdf

Elecsa guidance (and before you say, as I'm registered with them, so if I go against their guidance, my insurance company will tell me to get stuffed!); http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/C...-Downloads/Recessed-light-fittings-guide.aspx

The list goes on. I understand the fire compartment Part B, being applied to a domestic property as a whole, but the above guidance, recommends it is. There is also reg 527.2 to consider.

Don't get me wrong, last bathroom extractor I installed, I did not fit an intumescent collar, but I can see that coming.

Point I made in my OP, was the difference in price is literally 2 or 3 pounds. So why bother.

I get your drift about the price difference may as well opt for fire rated. Indeed the shell of a dwelling if you like is a fire compartment so this will apply to semi detached and flats. As for 527.2 cables are not passing through the ceiling and any fitted downlights are not likely to effect the 30 minute duration.

I get your drift about the price difference may as well opt for fire rated. Indeed the shell of a dwelling if you like is a fire compartment so this will apply to semi detached and flats. As for 527.2 cables are not passing through the ceiling and any fitted downlights are not likely to effect the 30 minute duration.
Ok 527.2 is irrelevant. But in the spirit of things, cant see how you can cut a 70mm hole in the ceiling and not be concerned, but concerned about the 2.5mm cable going thru the ceiling. Take you point though. Can't agree about non fire rated downlight not effecting the 30min barrier. :)

In a house there is no fire compartments and the plasterboard acts as a 30 minute barrier only to allow evacuation of occupants.

Properties that have had a loft conversion can have the loft and the rest of the house as separate fire compartments . 1st floor ceiling over boarded to give 60 min fire rating , any down lights in this ceiling would have to be fire rated .

Reply to Non fire rated down lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net