Discuss Non paying, infuriating customer. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy B

We quoted a job to rewire 2 bungalows. Did the job in the summer doing bits and pieces around other trades. They took forever to get plastering etc done. They changed there mind on the kitchen and stuff so many times. We moved the cooker switch and point for them twicw and basically bent over backwards keeping them happy. November came and we finally finished the job. They had paid about 2 thirds as we went along. They seemed to fall out with every trade on site and we thought we must just be more easy going. Before xmas we invoiced the final amount and they refused to pay coming out with crap excuses. They keep saying that people have told them the cables aren`t deep enough. I keep telling them that as long as the cables are in safe zones and RCD protected there is no minimum depth. Finally we sent them a letter threatening them with court action unless we recieve payment by today. They have just phoned me and they say they have called in trading standards and we will hear from them within a couple of day. I said I`m giving them to friday and registering it with small claims court.

They are the most infuriating people I`ve ever met.

As long as the work complies then there is bot all they can do.. Its tough but people wil try anything to get out of paying..

Good luck but if they have nothing to complain about it then go for it.. Horrible process though and doesn't always guarantee you your money.

I feel for ya mate. Ive not had this problem yet!!! But I did a bit of work for my cousin a few years ago. He paid me once I had finished my work but when the whole job completed, he invoice the customer. The customer refused to pay. She owes him £4000! He took her to court and found out that he wasnt the only one She and her ltd company owed money. She liquidated the company and my cousin didnt get a penny. What some people will do just riles me!!!!!!

Jay

I feel for ya mate. Ive not had this problem yet!!! But I did a bit of work for my cousin a few years ago. He paid me once I had finished my work but when the whole job completed, he invoice the customer. The customer refused to pay. She owes him £4000! He took her to court and found out that he wasnt the only one She and her ltd company owed money. She liquidated the company and my cousin didnt get a penny. What some people will do just riles me!!!!!!

Jay

It makes me sick.. Did this cause friction with you and the cousin ?

I wouldn't wait for the mythical trading standards contact mate, they've had their opportunity to complain to you and you have addressed their "problems" get the coun ty court paperwork filled in and sent off without messing about any further, ity's your money you'e earned it.

Funnily enough its me and my couson that did the work and he bought a lot of materials that he is owed for. These people do it with everyone. They were telling us about how another electrician they would use was calling them names and shouting at them. Also she was saying that the carpenters wife was screaming at them on the phone and the plasterers said that she was trouble. So they`ve obviously done it with all them as well.

No, he paid me a few weeks before the whole job was complete. It was a renevation of an oldish house. He was doing plastering, plumbing, fitting a kitchen, fitting two new bogs and painting the whole lot. I did a little bit of electrical work and helped him out with a bit of painting.
Turns out though, she owed another guy over £15000.

Jay

Sometimes.legalised murder could be deserved
Shame on them

IF they had contacted trading standards they would have said to call in the scam detectives, TS wouldnt carryout an inspection as they aint qualified for that. TS would say if you had broken trading rules and laws, ask the customer for details of person at TS they spoke to so that you can get process moving.
i would personally pass it to a debt collection agency, not bother with the courts as you are already entitled to your money, provided you didnt do anything dubious, and the bad debt marker may scare them more than the british legal behemoth

Try a letter from Higgins first - will only cost you a couple of quid - and see what response it gets.

Unfortunately there's a rise in the profession of people screwing over good honest tradesmen lately. Alot of what they say is an attempt to get you off thier back so they can get away with yet another scam. Aslong as the paper trail is a good one and in your favour you stand a chance of getting some (hopefully all) that is due eventualy but it can often take a very long time but stick with it as from time to time someone has to win against this sort of scum.

i'm still owed £1300 from 2 years back from a so called 'property developer'....well tbh it's a small group of people who just keep changeing firms and the director of those firms in our area here. I'll openly admit i made the BIG mistake of no paper trail as it was cash in hand and tey bought all materials so i screwed meself over really.....harsh lesson learnt and wont be happening again. A paper trail is extremely important.

I'm with the whole break in and remove everything my friend! Nothing worse than a non payer! Absolute wan*ers!!
People moan about cowboy trades men and how they should be named and shamed well I say non payers should be named and shamed to stop this from happening to other good honest hard working lads and lasses....

great idea break in and remove all of the electrics
don,t worry about any family living there just kick the door in
take some protection base ball bats stun guns knives a pair of cutters and a tester
for ****s sake

I saw a piece on sky news about a woman who hired a builder to build a porch at the front of her property, another scumbag non payer so he told his boys that built it to remove it, the builder said it was a shame to see his hard work torn down but better than seeing a scumbag enjoying his hard work free of charge

and ayjay, go to bed

Tin hat on but I would remove the main fuse from the carrier if its an external meter box. ok they will get it sorted but it will be some nice inconvenience for them to sort out, and just puts some doubt in there mind about f**king with you as you can do this whenever you like again and again. Failing that nothing says I want my money more than a s**t through the letter box . :33:

Reply to Non paying, infuriating customer. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net