Discuss Not sure how me last thread went down in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tri cal elec

but if anyone can help me solve this little problem Id be greatfull

Light needed in a room

-Drilled into concrete ceiling and put what I have no idea what it was called now into the whole. Found that the 8 ml drill bit the matey said id need was a bit of a tight fit to get this raw plug shall we say into.
anyway after getting it in, with a hammer! I had to punch the middle of it so that it splayed out. someone will know what there called im just trying to describe it. did that threaded me m8 i thnk he called it bar into it, for a good few turns then put a washer on top with a nut to hold it.

took the light drilled out a 8ml in the centre threaded a nut up the m8 bar, popped the light on and put another nut on the inside to hold it. drilled another hole into the side of the light and put a glad onit for the cable to enter. prob is im finding it wobbles and sways like a barstard, id say the drop of the bar is 1.5 m

I think onother bar dropped down would steady it. perhaps you can buy some sort of clip/clap that can attach to the m8 bar and a random pipe that just so happens to be there for it to grab onto which would be more ideal as its a bit of a tight gap to drop another bar.

anyone wanna say what they would have used/done?

basically there is a ceiling and its made of concrete

I drilled a 8mm hole into it and put a raw plug, it was called somethign else but it was in essence a threaded raw plug. if anyone knows it name can you say the matey at the wholesaler said but ive forgot.

anyway haivng done this i thread the bar he said would fit into this rawl plug and locked it on with a washer and a nutt. im sure he called this m8 bar and said you can get m6 and m10

next i cut a whole in the base of the light and attached the light to the m8 bar. this was acheived with 2 nuts, one on the outside of the base of the light and one on the inside, basically i pinched them up to lock it tight.

the drob of the bar from the ceiling to the light is 1.5 m

all im saying is its swaying like a baster when u touch it and that isnt the vision i had

just wondered if someone can say what they would have done different

perhaps i should have just dropped 2 bars but i didnt and just wondered if anyone knew if i had missed a trick before i drop another bar which will be tricky becasue the gap is small

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume the fixings are drop anchors?
2011311184708.jpg

I hope one rawl plug is not the only thing holding up your light bar.
You do not use rawl plugs in this fashion
You need proper masonry anchors
like this -
masonry_concrete_anchors_stainless.jpg

not like this -

21jXcBRk1OL.jpg

this is a rawl plug.

So you have mounted a light fitting by suspending it from a 1.5m threaded rod that is screwed into concrete with what sounds like a wedge anchor.

You will not be able to prevent the light fitting from swaying.
Even using two rods (which would be sensible) will only prevent swaying in one direction it will still sway from side to side.

Potentially you could install stay wires to the light from various ceiling points as they would not require much holding force but this would look terrible.

Drop-in Anchors | Brackets and Bolts - https://www.bracketsandbolts.com/shop/?cid=74

As others have said, you've got no chance of it being steady with only a single 8mm fixing of that length.
Drill size should have been 10mm so your anchor is probably loose in the concrete.

Is this in a House / Flat /Apartment or Commercial?

You'd have a slightly steadier light with 20mm steel conduit dropped from the ceiling.
Or maybe 3 drops of Gripple.
Cable Tensioner - Construction - Standard Hanger | Gripple - http://www.gripple.com/gb/en/p1/a14/standard-hanger

Normally suspended fittings are done with jack chain and they could swing around. And a galvanised hook plate on the ceiling. Don't suppose anyone's gonna get up there and swing on it so doesn't seem there is a problem?

You won't stop a suspended fitting from swaying unless you anchor it in at least 3 points (as Richard Burns explained)^^^^^
But if you wanted to reduce that sway then a thicker rod or conduit maybe be as snow head mentioned. Also the size and weight of the fitting will play a part.

If the concrete anchor fixings are installed correctly and the concrete is of good condition these type of fixings are usually quite good and take some shifting once in place. Its important you use the correct size drill bit for the job, too small and you won't get the fixing in with a big hammer which is likely to damage the fixing. Too big and the fixing will not expand enough to grab the sides of the hole and will easily slip out under load.

Hi dude,i hope the flat above,hasn't got a lump in the carpet...

I am not trying to cause alarm,but if you are unsure about fixing types and methods,i would refrain from perforating what could be a structural or service containing section of building.

Or,if not concerned,drill right through,and ask the folks above to thread that M8 nut on...

So you have mounted a light fitting by suspending it from a 1.5m threaded rod that is screwed into concrete with what sounds like a wedge anchor.

You will not be able to prevent the light fitting from swaying.
Even using two rods (which would be sensible) will only prevent swaying in one direction it will still sway from side to side.

Potentially you could install stay wires to the light from various ceiling points as they would not require much holding force but this would look terrible.

yes mate i have

I have pipes that I could attach to, weather or not you can get something that can grip the m8 bar and then clamp on to a water pipe I dont know

Drop-in Anchors | Brackets and Bolts - https://www.bracketsandbolts.com/shop/?cid=74

As others have said, you've got no chance of it being steady with only a single 8mm fixing of that length.
Drill size should have been 10mm so your anchor is probably loose in the concrete.

Is this in a House / Flat /Apartment or Commercial?

You'd have a slightly steadier light with 20mm steel conduit dropped from the ceiling.
Or maybe 3 drops of Gripple.
Cable Tensioner - Construction - Standard Hanger | Gripple - http://www.gripple.com/gb/en/p1/a14/standard-hanger

I found that using a 8mm drill bit to drill the hole for the drop/wedge anchor I was given made it a right tight fit. so much so i had to use a hammer to encourage it in. It just didnt feel right but i got it in. I was thinking maybee i needed a 9mm drill bit if i had used a ten im sure it would have just dropped out but the again thats probably the point of the splays. I was never shown so Im sort of learning here.

what your saying is that with a m8 anchor your supposed to drill a 10mm hole and then put it in and give it a ---- to sply them bits out which will give it a nice tight fit.

if thats the case nice one, ill apply it if i ever use m10 or m6

Reply to Not sure how me last thread went down in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net