Discuss NVQ3 knowledge questions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

king_malli

hey all! am currently working my way (slowly) through my EAL elctrotechnical NVQ3 and am struggling to answer many of the knowledge questions. Has anybody finished these and have digital copies available? some of the questions are so badly worded i dont understand what they are asking, any help would be very much appreciated!! Many thanks in advance, king malli

ditto. ask specific questions and no doubt, you'll get some serious answers. (before the Jack Daniels kicks in, that is)

well, where do i start...
Firstly, unit 012 - Prepare to install electrical wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment:
Qu 2 - What are the common types, their advantages and limitations or wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment?
Qu 4 - How would you calculate sizes and types of wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment and what is the importance of making calculations for this purpose?
Qu 5 - How would you prepare a schedule of quantities of all materials required for an electrical installation from customer information, drawings and site visits?
Qu 6 - How would you determine whether a wiring system, wiring enclosure and equipment for installation in a particular environment is suitable?
Qu 9 - What are the effects of installing into unkown building fabric?
Qu 12 - What part of the IEE wiring regulations as specified in the latest British Standard for Electrical Installations are relevant to types and uses of wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment?

That'l do for now from this unit. As you can see the questions are rather vague and could be answered in many ways, however i dont have the time to write essays for each question. I am currently working voluntary for a local company untill i finish my nvq because the company i was with went bankrupt a couple months ago and i have been unable to find an employer who will take me on permanantly to finish off my training. So am trying to fire through the nvq as quickly as possible.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who can help me!

firstly question 1, i think it refers to whats known as containment. So common types are, cable tray, ladder rack, basket, conduit (metal and plastic), trunking, (metal and plastic).

Other wiring methods include clipping direct using steel wire armoured or MICC

cable tray and ladder, basket, adv are that it is strong, adaptable, can handle multiple circuits. disadvantages, are the time it takes to install, and the cost.

conduit needs extra skill and tools to install, and takes longer, and cant be added to easily.
it is very strong however and can be rewired easily.

trunking is easy to install, can handle multiple circuits, and can be added to easily. but with trunking, its very easy to damage cables while pulling them in

Last edited:
Hi all was there any luck with the questions as i have a son requiring the same answers, cheers bfs

Hello bfs. The questions are worded badly and can be confusing. If your son is doing his nvq3, JTL do some good books on this subject and are well worth getting. We will help in answering any questions you have but its better for him to understand it for himself. Tell your son about this forum and get him signed up, loads of people in the same boat or have passed and willing to help.

Qu 2 - What are the common types, their advantages and limitations or wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment?

Reworded for you so its easier to understand.

Qu 2 - Name the Commons Types of Wiring Systems, Enclosures and Equipment?

Qu 2 - Describe the Advantages and Limitations of each one?

That deserves a thank you. I'm not even doing my nvq3 but to reword the questions is very useful for people that are taking it.

That deserves a thank you. I'm not even doing my nvq3 but to reword the questions is very useful for people that are taking it.

Thanks mate

Reading and understanding any question can be is a big problem for a lot people including me. But at the end of the day they are only written in normal English prose. A lot people struggle to be able to read and understand the regulations, but again its only written in normal English.

Finding an electrician who is at the top of their game both on the tools and the theory side (academically) ain't easy imo.

Totally agree. Back in college this was a problem for all students, even the very smart students. Grades were being lost, targets for the college were under threat so they now give a dedicated lesson on how to read the questions! This has always been a problem and is not going to change any time soon. The reason I recommended the JTL books is because the wording of the nvq3 is taken from that book or the book is worded like the exam. The few questions on this thread are word for word in the JTL book that I have. Again its worth getting them if your doing the nvq3.

Reply to NVQ3 knowledge questions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net