Discuss Odd things in folks houses. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
How’s this for a light-hearted Sunday thread. Working in a house the other day, went off in search of the customer for a chat, as I walked through his lounge I nearly jumped out of my skin as I was met with a horrendous, deafening screeching noise, I thought it was one of these intruder type alarms designed to make you leg it. Turns out is a blooming great parrot, sat on the mantelpiece, I nearly shat myself! Customer thought it was hilarious. What odd things have you come across (careful now)?

Was working in Bath when I was younger, Pultney Street to be exact, very large Georgian houses, most of them converted into flats, but there were still some family owned still around.
Got sent to one to do some minor woks things, blank off some wall lights etc, I recall my Boss saying good luck Son or words to that effect, and wondered what he meant by it, any way got there, the lady was very nice, cup of tea that sort of thing, I had one more job to do in a little room, sort of a small bedroom type thing, was it OK for me to go in, yes fine, well talk about fetish I was about 17 at the time, bloody hand cuffs on the bed posts, loads of sex toys, remember this was the late 50s yes 1950s, scared me to death, all the other Lads back at work had a good laugh though.

Was working in Bath when I was younger, Pultney Street to be exact, very large Georgian houses, most of them converted into flats, but there were still some family owned still around.
Got sent to one to do some minor woks things, blank off some wall lights etc, I recall my Boss saying good luck Son or words to that effect, and wondered what he meant by it, any way got there, the lady was very nice, cup of tea that sort of thing, I had one more job to do in a little room, sort of a small bedroom type thing, was it OK for me to go in, yes fine, well talk about fetish I was about 17 at the time, bloody hand cuffs on the bed posts, loads of sex toys, remember this was the late 50s yes 1950s, scared me to death, all the other Lads back at work had a good laugh though.
Well come on Pete don't stop the story there even if it is Sunday!

There was this house and in the loft was inscribed on the laid down floor various sigils and symbols of an occult nature with various figurines of a similar nature. The classic occult circle on the floor and various Juju items. It looked like something out of the Devil Rides Out (google it) It was most disconcerting to say the least.

In the late 80s I got a job with the FCO at Hanslope park MK so a move of house was involved, but I found lodgings in the village until we found a house, anyway the house I lodged at was in an OAPs estate, a bungalow to be exact, the Old Lady had lost her Husband and needed the extra cash, so it was ideal for both of us.
That was until I came from work on my first day and found, her on my bed dad as a dodo, now that freaked me out, had to find new lodgings as well.

In the late 80s I got a job with the FCO at Hanslope park MK so a move of house was involved, but I found lodgings in the village until we found a house, anyway the house I lodged at was in an OAPs estate, a bungalow to be exact, the Old Lady had lost her Husband and needed the extra cash, so it was ideal for both of us.
That was until I came from work on my first day and found, her on my bed dad as a dodo, now that freaked me out, had to find new lodgings as well.
I won't ask the obvious question.

Forgot to mention about the Parrot, his owner said "Sorry about that he only does it with people he doesn't know" Sure enough when I went back a week later he just looked at me without a murmur. Must be quite clever, Parrots. Bet you wouldn't catch a Parrot trying to charge his phone in the bath.

The only odd things I seem to come across in customers houses are the customers themselves.

There was a house we were sent to rewire. The job was looked at by another organisation, and the loft was supposed to be empty. After looking up there we saw it had been converted to 2 small bedrooms and a bathroom, the elderly owners of the house had no idea the rooms were up there. The rooms were fully furnished and the beds made, as if the rooms were in use when last left. The old radio, vacuum cleaner and decoration suggested 50s or 60s, a layer of undisturbed dust covered everything.

I wouldn't say odd but I was helping my Uncle out as he was a builder on a job in Marlybone for a widow (good few years back) and I had to reroute the cable for the loft light.

There was a larger leather case/box which much have belonged to her husband, can't remember the name but he was a Squadron Leader in WWII of a fighter unit, I was impressed, regret not asking her about her husband.

Here's one for you to laugh at, was on a job running new cables under the floorboards on the groundfloor of a house. in the basement level there was a self contained flat. There were a couple of cables that it was not clear where they ran to or which property they served. So after a bit of investigating i go down and knock on the basement flats front door to check a few things, when i go in the back room was kitted out as a dominatrix chamber. the lady was lovely and explained what she did but i was keen to get out quickly!!. there were harnesses, restraints and implements that if carried in public would likely be seen as an offensive weapon. It was an eye opener into the darker side of peoples private lives!!

I've found a little cannabis farm in a bedroom of a tenants house...They obviously hadn't read the letter giving them notice that I was coming, no one was in so let myself in and found it in one of the bedrooms.
Spose you're going to tell us you never had a spliff then?

A few years back I was testing a small shop along with the managers flat upstairs. When the shop was done he said feel free to go upstairs the wife won't be back for a few hours. Up I went and found in the bedroom some huge black and white photos on the walls of the same lady in various poses stark naked. Anyway I cracked on and was still working when his wife returned who was very friendly and chatted away while I finished up, took me a while to click that said pictures were all of her in her younger days.

Reply to Odd things in folks houses. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock