Discuss Old cut out fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Adam Smith

Evening all,

I am looking to get hold of a 40 amp cut out fuse to replace an existing 60 amp to provide adequate protection to a supply cable. I bought a BS1361:1971 fuse thinking it would be the correct fit (22mm diameter) but it turns out its about 2mm too wide to fit in the carrier. The fuse carrier and head do look very old so was wondering if fuses that are slightly thinner than the standard cutout fuses are still available and if so, where I get hold of one?

I was thinking of running 16mm tails to a wylex switch fuse and downrating there if I have no joy with the main fuse, but I've not factored that in to the price and would like to avoid taking a hit on that one. Also there is the worry of getting on the wrong side of the DNO if they catch wind of me tampering with their equipment (although it looks like they last set foot in there in the 60's!)

Thank you

You cannot use a DNOs service fuse as protection for any part of the installation.

If the cutout is really that old then there is a strong chance they will be changing it for a new one at some point and then it will almost certainly be upgraded to either a 80 or 100 amp fuse.

Thats it , Tellys going off , six pack firmly planted , now bring on the entertainment...

Thinking about it I do have one or two of those old narrower cutout fuses kicking around somewhere.
I've 'rescued' them from old cutouts when the DNO have been moving them on jobs.

You never know when you might need such an item ;)

Supply is only 6mm...

If you are talking about the incoming side then how do you know, and why does that matter?
DNOs have different rules and current ratings for their cables than we do for ours so that is probably just fine as it is.

And if the cutout is really that old then the cable is likely to be imperial rather than metric

sod the popcorn. i need alcohol in large quantities. booze don'e stick between the teeth.

It will be imperial fabric covered coarse strand gear,i'm waiting,at present,for my DNO to upgrade my own. They did one for me at a neighbours and ended up jointing half-way up the drive. Installed 1937,cast door on the BILL switchfuse for lighting,conveniently swinging down to a rubbed bare spot on above mentioned tails...

Evening all,

I am looking to get hold of a 40 amp cut out fuse to replace an existing 60 amp to provide adequate protection to a supply cable. I bought a BS1361:1971 fuse thinking it would be the correct fit (22mm diameter) but it turns out its about 2mm too wide to fit in the carrier. The fuse carrier and head do look very old so was wondering if fuses that are slightly thinner than the standard cutout fuses are still available and if so, where I get hold of one?

I was thinking of running 16mm tails to a wylex switch fuse and downrating there if I have no joy with the main fuse, but I've not factored that in to the price and would like to avoid taking a hit on that one. Also there is the worry of getting on the wrong side of the DNO if they catch wind of me tampering with their equipment (although it looks like they last set foot in there in the 60's!)

Thank you

Obviously the DNO's equipment is just that, The DNO's, so leave it alone. Fit a switch fuse, take the hit on the price and put it down to experience.

I wanted to say that !

you got one as well.

ill be the muppet on site with schneider written on there clothes wearing one around brum lol

Old cut out fuses {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Old cut out fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock