Discuss Old regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Chatting with a friend earlier on and he happened to mention that his house has no RCD protection. Now this is an old house, he has never had any work done on it as far as I am aware of in the last 35 years. he owns the property but originally it was council owned. I am astonished that in this day in age he has no RCD. I haven't seen his consumer unit or intake so I can't verify what he does and doesn't have, maybe he has one external to the board covering all circuits? I have only ever studied electrics at 17th edition so to me RCD's are everything.

I was curious as to if this was common practice back then? When did RCD's start being implemented?

Uff

I'd bet that across the country there's more CU's without RCD protection that those with it. RCD's have been in use since the 1960's but were only really rolled out en mass in the UK in the last 20 years.

I can remember my dad fitting a board in our house with an ELCB in 1987. Don't think it was the norm though.

Hi all.

his house has no RCD protection.
it was council owned. I am astonished that in this day in age he has no RCD. I

I have only ever studied electrics at 17th edition so to me RCD's are everything.

I was curious as to if this was common practice back then? When did RCD's start being implemented?

Uff

I suppose Rcds are a handy tool to supplement otherwise well protected installations;)

Mind you, evidence of mass electrocutions before popular use of Rcds can be much exaggerated
Maybe that is how we older types managed to live long enough to reproduce you millennium sparks :)

I know current operated Rcds were around in the sixties,maybe well before then (Chiltern was a popular brand)

I always get a bit worried,when it is assumed,that RCD's are a cure-all guarantee,of a safe and reliable installation.

Obviously,correctly installed,tested,and with the rest of the system,both upstream and down,in similar order,they offer an increased chance of a safer installation.

One of my properties,up until 2 years ago,was mostly vintage 1937,fused neutral head,with a replacement meter fitted 1960,and some minor wiring/switch fuse fitted,in the 70's.

It surprisingly,exceeded the current IR testing parameters,and had caused no issues previously.

In contrast,i have inspected many,many installations,fitted in the last few years or even weeks,where the owners visit their DB as often as their fridge,due to constant tripping issues,and how an injury or incident has been avoided,is a wonder.

On occasion,when bored,i will ask a spark,just how many faulty RCD's they have replaced. It is worth bearing in mind,that some of these defective items,may not have prevented a fatality,if expected to do so,in such an instance.

You can strip off,that old,tired cross-ply,that never let you down,because it is part of good maintenance.

But if the brand-new, low-profile,is not seated on the bead...the journey will not end well o_O

I think about late '70s early '80s when I was dashing and handsome, we started incorporating ELCBs in each house we rewired. Thought I was some kind of advanced scientist explaining to the customer what was happening...ah well.

I think about late '70s early '80s when I was dashing and handsome, we started incorporating ELCBs in each house we rewired. Thought I was some kind of advanced scientist explaining to the customer what was happening...ah well.

Although i accept the "ELCB" part,as an attempt at increasing electrical safety,the "dashing and handsome",will have to be noted as "not conforming..." ;)

Hi my name is Edward, From ireland.
Back after long time,
interested in Discussion re ELCB's
Have noticed of late lots of faulty ELCB's mainly ones thad dont trip at all either with test meter of button.
Some not many too sensitive.
Think it important RCD's should be tested often,

I can remember my dad fitting a board in our house with an ELCB in 1987. Don't think it was the norm though.
I also installed RCD's in the 80's and I remember them being a bit hit and miss in operation and bloody expensive to buy.

I think about late '70s early '80s when I was dashing and handsome.............
Yeah, me too. If I was put through a full EICR nowadays there would be a few C3's and C2's on the list :(

Reply to Old regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock