Discuss old shady pyro/micc cable supplying meter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
doing an EICR, got a very thin looking micc cable at the incomer of the meter. It old flats, the fuse for the flat is outside the property (in the close) in a metal enclosure, attatched to the riser.
Its proabably between 2 and 4mm in csa. Is this not a job for supplier? Has anybody came across an micc this thin, supplying a flat?

Although i dont have any reliable numbers on this size of cable, i just cant imagine it being able to cope with the likes of 60 amps or up

How thin is thin? Is it imperial or metric?
You should be able to read the size from the pot or gland, and quite often the stub sleeping has conductor size printed on it.
Failing that accurately measure the OD of the cable and look it up.

sorry mate its not very clear, i mean the cores from the micc going into the meter are between 2-4mm
i can see them, as the covering cloth doesnt quite cover all.
Ive not check the gland at the other side.
I have no real concerns over the condition of the cable. I know its old.
Im getting a good Ze.
Really just trying figure out its current carrying capacity
Ive phoned british gas (supplier) but they are not overly willing to help due to some unknown details on the customers account

As #5 says these cables can be very deceptive I have often quickly guessed a csa and been proven wrong upon closer investigation. British Gas won't have a clue, try and find all the details from the gland if metric it is straight forward but imperial will require some investigation. Ignore any possible sizing on the conductor sleeve as the wrong type may have been used.

Reply to old shady pyro/micc cable supplying meter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net