Discuss Old style MK sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
The old MK sockets with 4 fixing screws any one know if they are still available, or would the original back box have two side lugs, I cant remember as I have never had the occasion to look, I have a few to replace and trying to avoid plaster damage on a solid wal
Pict

back box has 4 lugs. 2 top, 2 bottom. if , the box can't be replaced, drill and plug or tap int back box) left and right, screw in 2 socket pin extenders, then fix faceplate to them.

Sometimes my braiin goes straight to worst case scenario, but I never ever thought of that solution Tel, but just shows no matter how long you have been at it theres always room to learn a new trick even if you are an old dog like me
Pict

or you could drill and plug and ise some longish 6's screws

I changed an old double socket recently. The flush backbox had 6 lugs; two each on top and bottom edges and one on each side.

Yes, most of them I come across have six lugs,will take the usual side fixing sockets just the same..
Another method I have used is to remove a couple of sliding lugs from another box and fix them with small self tappers to the side of the box. Fiddly, but gets you out of trouble on a friday afternoon on an EICR when the socket you have just dropped for inspection wont go back because a poxy lug is trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, most of them I come across have six lugs,will take the usual side fixing sockets just the same..

i not got six lugs, just the usual two, left and right to stop brain falling sideways. serve a secondary purpose to stop specs falling off. pity lugholes weren't sited to block out 'er indoors.

The old MK sockets with 4 fixing screws any one know if they are still available, or would the original back box have two side lugs, I cant remember as I have never had the occasion to look, I have a few to replace and trying to avoid plaster damage on a solid wal
Pict

can't think at the moment re 2gang but i remember 1gangs having no fixed lug. if you find side lugs and it's the same, don't forget to earth backbox (sorry if you are aware already!)

Reply to Old style MK sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net