Discuss Old three fuse board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scribblesvurt

Hello,
Buying a house and found this under the stairs.

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/fnifwg3.jpg

I'm guessing it needs updating. Am I right in thinking there are three circuits here? What would be involved in getting a new consumer unit. Worth doing?
Also if you cover Wigan let me know.
Thanks for any help.

wigan's just up road from me. good pies in wigan. :p

Am I right in thinking there are three circuits here? What would be involved in getting a new consumer unit. Worth doing?

Well I would suggest getting the important safety work done as a priority first (upgrading the earthing and protective bonding) before doing mainly cosmetic jobs eg a new consumer unit

However since a new consumer unit will have need to address the primary safety feature of earthing and bonding before it be changed,in this instance,yes a new consumer unit would be beneficial

I don't want to appear too old, but I can remember having three fuse Wylexes on the shelf. If you allow me sometime I may be able to recall the part number.

However: I agree, needs updating !
Wylex 304 for a three way Standard board, the first number denotes the number of ways. Add IVY for the ivory coloured one.

Well I would suggest getting the important safety work done as a priority first (upgrading the earthing and protective bonding) before doing mainly cosmetic jobs eg a new consumer unit

I'm not sure I would class the installation of RCDs (commonly referred to as a life saver) as 'cosmetic' work.

I'm not sure I would class the installation of RCDs (commonly referred to as a life saver) as 'cosmetic' work.

Whilst I will conceded that Rcd protection is an additional safety feature and should certainly be considered for older installations that may be being upgraded,reliance on these devices does not compare with the protection afforded by earthing and bonding which was and is the primary safety feature of this installation

The point being trying to be conveyed by me was that the general public tends to see a shiny new board (that may afford little added safety value)as the best safety feature whilst ignoring the most important item

Reply to Old three fuse board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock