Discuss Old time Apprentices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had to go to Screwfix at the weekend, I needed some wood screws, got me thinking about the old days.
Now these screws came in a nice metal box all differing sizes, I was wondering how many of the older fraternity remember when they were lads following an Electrician around different jobs, wire a socket here, a light there, now the bloke I worked with most of my time had an old Army gas mask bag, and this was his bits and bobs store, I can remember him saying, as an example Pete I need 6 x 3/4 no 8 screws, I would have to tip the bag out and hunt around for the screws, there was all sorts in this bag cable clips, machine screws, staple (for bell wire the old lags will remember them), grommets, blooming everything in this bag, it was how he collected all this stuff that amused me, he would remove a switch, and chuck all the bits he could salvage in this bag. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar things during their Apprenticeship.

Not as an apprentice, but helping my Dad. He kept all his screws and bits in old SMA tins. Tip them out on newspaper and rummage around finding the bits he wanted, spent hours trying to match nuts with bolts. Still to this day he salvages bits and bobs although his filing system is a bit more organised since Mum insisted he got a decent shed and had a clear out.

It's rubbed off on me, the words "I might be able to use that" are an all too frequent occurrence when trying to get rid of stuff :)

And I agree with @Andy78 :)

My old man was a plumber and he had a metal tool box with old copper and brass fittings in it, he used to call it the box that keeps on giving, was like the tardis, every time we got a job with a fitting which we couldn't terminate he would send me to the van to tip out the box and find something to fit!:) The box was one up from the coffee jars he used to keep screws in, wouldn't ever throw away something he took out as "we may need it one day!"

Everything has a home in my van, and I can put my hands on it within seconds. No rummaging about or anything. But I too have a flappy pocket full of all sorts - it's a shame you can't get little flappy pocket compartments - it takes me longer to find a screw in my flappy pockets than it would to go out to the van and get one from the box.

But yes, my Dad has an old wicker basket full of all sorts of crap. He'll be helping me do a DIY job in the house and I'll say "oh I need something like..." and two minutes later there it is, after a good old rummage.

I must admit that I am the same.
You can guarantee if you chuck it - you will need it.
I was taught by my Father from an early age , I suppose the wartime mentality of frugality rubbed off on me , and has never left.

There's a fine line between saving for frugal reasons and becoming a full time hoarder though.
I often find that your level of saving stuff depends on, and expands to occupy, the available space allotted to saving stuff. Sometimes, as in the case of my brother, it can expand beyond that. He purchased 3 shipping containers in order to house his overflowing useful stuff.

When I moved in to my current house about 13 years ago the ancient up and over garage door had a broken lock. My old man had replaced his same type garage door a few years previously but kept all the bits! He pitched up on weekend and replaced lock. Good old dad! :D

There's a fine line between saving for frugal reasons and becoming a full time hoarder though.
I often find that your level of saving stuff depends on, and expands to occupy, the available space allotted to saving stuff. Sometimes, as in the case of my brother, it can expand beyond that. He purchased 3 shipping containers in order to house his overflowing useful stuff.
Needs to see a Doctor lol:mad::cool::rolleyes::)

Needs to see a Doctor lol:mad::cool::rolleyes::)
When I was working most of our jobs were overseas. The electrics had to meet UK standards, which usually meant shipping everything materials, tools etc, Lamps. Sometime we would send too much and leave the excess with the site engineer, we would send our tools, PPE back but materials were left, to expensive to send home, one particular guy would send everything back including 60watt lamps, he had a problem, OCD I think it was called, he used to say, "you never know Pete we might that one day" nutter.

can still remember my dad with a hammer and a piece of steel RSJ straightening out rusty nails then storing them in coffee jars. he even used to make wall plugs from scrap bits of wood; made buckle clips from old bean cans; built a "new" kitchen from scrap timber; happy days.

Had to go to Screwfix at the weekend, I needed some wood screws, got me thinking about the old days.
Now these screws came in a nice metal box all differing sizes, I was wondering how many of the older fraternity remember when they were lads following an Electrician around different jobs, wire a socket here, a light there, now the bloke I worked with most of my time had an old Army gas mask bag, and this was his bits and bobs store, I can remember him saying, as an example Pete I need 6 x 3/4 no 8 screws, I would have to tip the bag out and hunt around for the screws, there was all sorts in this bag cable clips, machine screws, staple (for bell wire the old lags will remember them), grommets, blooming everything in this bag, it was how he collected all this stuff that amused me, he would remove a switch, and chuck all the bits he could salvage in this bag. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar things during their Apprenticeship.
Chuffing hell my dad still does it now. Working on the roofs with him when I was about 16 during the summer hols three quality Street tins worth of nails and screws. Van being a tip as well had to sort it out. Did my nut in. Plus I was only footing ladders and passing stuff so rest of the time was sat in the van anyway.

can still remember my dad with a hammer and a piece of steel RSJ straightening out rusty nails then storing them in coffee jars. he even used to make wall plugs from scrap bits of wood; made buckle clips from old bean cans; built a "new" kitchen from scrap timber; happy days.
My dad a couple years ago fixed his beloved swively wooden chair when the arm broke. 2x4, chisel and a bit of varnish. Looks the part to be fair.
Did a cracking job lol
"I can make you one of those"
Or "I've got one of those laying about somewhere you can have at the yard"

When it's gone it's gone DOODY a sadly dying way of doing things, I remember my Dad, gon now the past 20 years, had allsorts stored in coffee jars, more stuff than the local DIY shop GRHS

When it's gone it's gone DOODY a sadly dying way of doing things, I remember my Dad, gon now the past 20 years, had allsorts stored in coffee jars, more stuff than the local DIY shop GRHS
I'm in the predicament of I'd like a place for everything and everything in it's place however also being like "that could come in handy" so nothing gets sorted and everything is kept :D lol
He actually had a mini stroke not too long ago. He didn't even realise still up and down ladders and when being told to rest he was working on his new home.
Says he gets bored doing nothing and the house needing to be sorted helped him get right.
Don't realise how lucky you are sometimes. On a positive it's stopped him smoking 40 rollies a day. Knocked it straight on the head

Should have this as the dad thread. Lol

Deep Professional Organisers - Small Parts Storage from BiGDUG UK - http://www.bigdug.co.uk/storage-boxes-containers-c363/small-parts-storage-c366/deep-professional-organisers-pp17661

You need some of these Pete...The 600x400 organisers are well handy. I have 4 of them 1 full of screws, plugs and grommets, 1 full of wagos, crimps, etc 1 full of metal munching gear like bushes and the other full of odds and sods.

I use the Fatmax ones, but that's pretty much how I have mine organised too.

Reply to Old time Apprentices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net