Discuss Old Tutors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a thought, I wondered how many of the elder members ca remember their old college tutors, and how they taught their lessons.
I recall one Guy ,so much so that I can even remember his name ( this was a long time ago by the way) Eric Woodward was his name, Eric taught Electrical Installations, both Practical and Theory, lovely bloke and a good lecturer, as I progressed Eric became a good personal friend, that is what life was like in those days (1960s)
Eric is gone now, I remember how he used to come in early and draw detailed drawings in chalk on the blackboard, no computer slides in those days, he even taught me how to draw contactors, full colour, which I believe stood me in good-stead for the life ahead, he was a passionate man who loved his job, and watch out if you didn't complete your homework assignments, yes we had homework, so different from today's fast track merchants.

Yeh I do. John Donovan. He taught at college and had his own biz which I worked for and the work just kept coming. London East End factories shops offices. He was brilliant. Taught me to drive got my JIB card back in 1971ish. Loadsa houses, endless houses. Got it off to a T. Before I was just ligging about doing nothing useful. I remember first starting he made me re-wire a JB about six times til I got it right and neat. I was getting pretty upset about it but mastered it finally and then started taking a pride. I often wonder if he is still with us.

Wow Pete, this stopped me, in a good way. Thank you!
I remember Mr Gover fondly. The only bloke to persevere with me and my maths. Inspirational really.

Wow Pete, this stopped me, in a good way. Thank you!
I remember Mr Gover fondly. The only bloke to persevere with me and my maths. Inspirational really.
I always thought that although you were keen to learn, if you were having trouble, the more you asked the more some tutors took you under their wing, I thank my main tutor and the guys I worked with for taking the time to educate me, wish I could do the same now I am retired.

My college tutor is still teaching as it wasn't that long ago :p. One lad was sat with some earphones on and got told to take them off...He took them off but put them back on about 15 minutes later so the tutor walked past him with some side cutters and cut both sides leaving about 6" of cable hanging off of each side :D. Brilliant bloke who really knows his stuff and wouldn't take crap off of no one. I'm still in touch with him now. He called me up and recommended me both my apprentices who both started on full time courses but he thought they were good lads who would make it so I took both of them on a year apart from each other.

You make a very good point there Pete, someone with your knowledge and experience being able to pass some on to the latest generation of apprentices would be really good. Maybe you could ask at your local college if they could benefit from your services part time ?

You make a very good point there Pete, someone with your knowledge and experience being able to pass some on to the latest generation of apprentices would be really good. Maybe you could ask at your local college if they could benefit from your services part time ?
Nice thought Dave, but I'm 70, think I might be slightly too old, thanks for the thought

Pete are these some of your old tutors ??
Alessandro Volta
Gustav Kirchhoff
John Ambrose Fleming
Thomas Edison
André-Marie Ampère

Myke hides quickly

Pete are these some of your old tutors ??
Alessandro Volta
Gustav Kirchhoff
John Ambrose Fleming
Thomas Edison
André-Marie Ampère

Myke hides quickly
Now that is just too much you cheeky young git, good though nice one

Can remember the face of my tutor, but not the name. Might have something to do with my recollections of college, where the class bullies, used to clamp each arm of an individual victims overalls, in the bench vices and then 'Megger' them across each hand. Always had to keep looking over your shoulder!
:mevilrun:

Nice thought Dave, but I'm 70, think I might be slightly too old, thanks for the thought
never too old as long as brain to legs signals still work. problem with any form of teaching is now you need a teaching qualification on top of a full CRB , us old farts are now just a waste of space as far as authorities are concerned.it's getting to a stage now where we are living long enough to get back most of our NI contributions back as pensions. god help the government when some of us live long enough to get back all the taxes we've spent on beer and smokes over 50 years.

god help the government when some of us live long enough to get back all the taxes we've spent on beer and smokes over 50 years.
Doubt it, but I'm gonna give it a damn good try though. Used to get the old company rag, which had obituaries of guys in their nineties, who I bet were rather chuffed that the company had to pay out their pension for so long!

Just a thought, I wondered how many of the elder members ca remember their old college tutors, and how they taught their lessons.
I recall one Guy ,so much so that I can even remember his name ( this was a long time ago by the way) Eric Woodward was his name, Eric taught Electrical Installations, both Practical and Theory, lovely bloke and a good lecturer, as I progressed Eric became a good personal friend, that is what life was like in those days (1960s)
Eric is gone now, I remember how he used to come in early and draw detailed drawings in chalk on the blackboard, no computer slides in those days, he even taught me how to draw contactors, full colour, which I believe stood me in good-stead for the life ahead, he was a passionate man who loved his job, and watch out if you didn't complete your homework assignments, yes we had homework, so different from today's fast track merchants.
I can remember all of my Tutors from Bournemouth & Poole, Alan Sillers was one of my best tutors for electrical science, top bloke and very good at complex design and calcs. Alan Tousell not sure of the spelling but was a sparks for years before getting into teaching. Used to tease him with sayings like Those that can't! TEACH!! He was a very down to earth straight talking lecturer.

I can remember all of my Tutors from Bournemouth & Poole, Alan Sillers was one of my best tutors for electrical science, top bloke and very good at complex design and calcs. Alan Tousell not sure of the spelling but was a sparks for years before getting into teaching. Used to tease him with sayings like Those that can't! TEACH!! He was a very down to earth straight talking lecturer.

70 old, bet Rod Stewart wouldn't thank you for saying that! :)
I had one lecturer, Bentley was his name. looked a bit like a Bond villain, remember this was a time with no copiers no power point, we had to write all our own notes, this git would dictate and we wrote, if nobody questioned we just carried on, until the end when he would calmly tell us we had written crap for the last hour, I hated him, so much so I got sent to the college principal for threatening him, berk.

Greg Peacock was mine... Not that long ago though. He was a real live-wire (no pun intended!), and a great fella. I recall when he was showing us how to make off SWA. The first hacksaw he used had a knacked blade, so he swapped it, but left the other one on the side. He started scoring the armour with it and then suddenly decided he forgot something. As he went across the workshop to get what ever it was, I swapped his hacksaw back to the knacked one. To be fair to him he noticed within 2-3 strokes that it had been swapped!

His abiding words were take your time, and that a job will take however long it takes. I think because of that bit of wisdom I rarely feel pressured to work sloppily.

I would love to know what he is doing now, I suspect he is probably back on the tools, as he never struck me as the typical tutor type.

Reply to Old Tutors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock