Discuss Onshore / Offshore turbine installer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Currently getting my 16th up to my 17th (been out the sparking for a few years).
Really interested in Wind turbine installation and maintenance, but it seems pretty damn hard to get into that field.

Any advice? Did a search on here... not much seemed to come up.
Got my CV to every turbine company in the land.

I have a small marine background (Chief engineer on a superyacht 2 yrs - hydraulics, plcs etc) + skipper certs (probably no help at all... but hey).
Working at sea and heights really appeals.... so offshore would be great.

I looked into doing a whole load of courses to make me more 'attractive' (mmm... can't afford the plastic surgery).

Bosiet (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training)
Heightec Wind Turbine technician core skills training course (5 day)
National Fluid Power Centre. Renewable power wind turbine maintenance course (3 day)

National Fluid Power Centre. BFPA/CETOP Level 1 Hydraulics

CCNSG (Safety Passport)
MIST (Minimum Industry Safety Training) course

However, I have had conflicting advice (from companies and sparks) that a lot of the companies would send me on their own courses.
My thinking is that I am not even going to get a look-in, unless I have some of these.... bloody expensive... courses on my CV

Thoughts?

Thanks all
Steve

Hello steve,
I have just been offered a job with siemens as an offshore wind turbine tech. I would say to hold fire on all of the expensive courses as i have not got any, all they really look for is either an electrical or mechanical background and more importantly a strong understanding of health and safety. Keep trying mate as it has taken me nearly 2 years to get this job.The wind industry is going to be huge in a few years and the demand for decent people will be high.

steve,
Tried to reply 2 ur msg mate, siemens plc, sir william siemens square, frimley, camberley,gu16 8qd. where are u based as they like to employ ppl who live close to the site? u could also try bwea website in the job section aswell. hope this helps.
regards
Darren

Hi,
Realise this is an old thread, but hope it is still being maintained. I am interested in working on wind turbines to use my recently aquired C&G level 3 Electrotechnical qualification. I Want to ask any anyone practising in this field if having home responsibilities, what the hours are?, are they flexible? If I could travel to and from the launch depot daily? or is it working away? Thanks for any advise.

Hi,
It depends on whether or not you want to be site based, usually mon to Fri 8 - 4 or a travelling tech, typically spending a lot of time away from home and living out of a suitcase? There are options for all... I have family commitments though travel a bit. Though I know a lot of guys who are happier to work Monday to Friday and get home every night

Reply to Onshore / Offshore turbine installer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock