Discuss Optima Alarm Help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

g3az66

Hello all,

I have no access to the alarm forum so am posting here, hope you don't mind....

I have installed an Optima Compact panel with a Honeywell AG6 bell box. The panel works fine however I get no siren or strobe from the bell box. I have used the 'test' as per the manual and also activated an alarm situation. The bell box has power to it as the led is lit. It is wired as the instructions that came with the bell box.

Panel AG6

STROBE -...... ST -
T...... R -
A...... V -
D...... V+
B...... SW

Any help would be greatly appreciated

some of them need a link in the bellbox,also check fuse in alarm panel as it may have blown,also check wether set to volt applied or removed on ringing.

Thanks for the reply. How will I know which ones to link? Will check fuses.... Not sure what you mean by last suggestion....

The diagram came with the panel and bell box, both from the same supplier.

The actual bell box instructions has a list of different panels but mine is not listed... The closest is the OPTIMA XL4

You may have to connect the battery in the SAB unit (bell) before it will function correctly, read the bell box instructions closely its easy to miss a line when setting up.

if you have connected the panel end first with the panel powered up, FUSE.

This is common as some sparks do not understand how a sounder works so here goes (ready to get shot down)

The outside sounder or SAB as they say Self Actuating Bell module as they used to and still call out even although we no longer use bells. this is designed to be a stand alone unit that can power the sounder via an onboard battery that is charged/ controlled/monitored from the control panel

So what does it have well 5 cables ie:-

Red 12vdc+ this is the constant supply to the sounder to power and charge the unit (hold off)
Black 12vdc- this is the constant supply to the sounder to power and charge the unit (hold off)
Blue 12vdc- this is the switched neutral from the CP to the sounder this switches when in alarm (trigger)
Yellow 12vdc- this is a constant switched via the tamper switch on the sounder to the CP and is a monitor (tamper)
Green 12vdc- This is a latched switch neutral to activate the strobe (ie sounder must go off after 20 minutes but strobe stays on to give a visual)

So before you shinny up to the box in the pouring rain you can open the CP and with a 150mm link of cable link out the 12vdc- hold off with the 12vdc- trigger this tests the external sounder or you can disconnect one of the hold off cables and if the battery has been charging ok this also should activate the sounder.

So what can go wrong well there could be a link in or missing or the guy that put it in did not have a clue so if you are going up to the sounder take the lid off it will activate then put the screw back in without the lid making sure it closes the tamper switch this will allow you to check it out without getting confused.

One last thing before anybody says thats not the colours i use well yep I have seen a few variations in my time but my colour code explanation can wait for another day plus my fingers are sore so its off to make a cup O tea

Last edited by a moderator:
a very good, clear explanation, OT. only thing i can fault you on is that you used the word neutral, when you should have said negative or 0V.

a very good, clear explanation, OT. only thing i can fault you on is that you used the word neutral, when you should have said negative or 0V.

Yes I know but we are talking to sparks so as they say "one step at a time sweet Jesus" and how did I know you would reply lol

Now you are all getting technical on me lol.....

Battery is connected in bell box SAB!
Everything was wired up 1st then power applied

I think I follow everything oldtimer is saying... Will have another play with it at the weekend. I have been given another way to wire it up so will try that 1st..

Thanks for all your help folks

No the battery is not the SAB it is a part of the sab module but on you AG6 sounder the SAB module is intergrated with the sounder and strobe also do you have a technica sheet for it if not pm me and I wil send it

Hello all,

I have installed an Optima Compact panel with a Honeywell AG6 bell box. The panel works fine however I get no siren or strobe from the bell box. I have used the 'test' as per the manual and also activated an alarm situation. The bell box has power to it as the led is lit. It is wired as the instructions that came with the bell box.

Panel AG6

STROBE -...... ST -
T...... R -
A...... V -
D...... V+
B...... SW

check that the panel is creating the signal

check the voltage between D and B whilst doing the bell test should be 12vdc if not have you prob have a faulty panel

i would also check that the bell works as follows

#Disconnect the wire from terminal marked B and place it on terminal marked A

the sounder outside should ring then do the same on terminal T leave the wire that is already in this terminal connected. Both times the sounder outside should ring.

Hello all,

Panel AG6

STROBE -...... ST -
T...... R -
A...... V -
D...... V+
B...... SW

check that the panel is creating the signal

check the voltage between D and B whilst doing the bell test should be 12vdc if not have you prob have a faulty panel

i would also check that the bell works as follows

#Disconnect the wire from terminal marked B and place it on terminal marked A

the sounder outside should ring then do the same on terminal T leave the wire that is already in this terminal connected. Both times the sounder outside should ring.

SORRY ALL dont know what happend, i di try to do a quote but it failed.

TADB from the board
EA are linked for the output module
Separate speakers are connected to J6 on the board

You need to match up the board output to the external AG6 sounder

This is probably why you don't have strobe or sounder.

I think OT and EngSp have explained it better

Here is the wiring as it should be hope this helps, check all links and fuses are good.
ADE G4 Control PanelDABStrobe -T
AG6 Active Guard Bell BoxV +V -SWST -R -

I have disconnected the battery in my old Optima Alarm control panel(20years old)and have been using the external bell without SCB, the system has operated on AC supply only,which I have been happy with.However I now have a situation where the external bell does not operate,there is no output voltage at terminals D and B,although the bell fuse is Ok,and the internal sounder is ok.I need help to get an alarm 12v supply to my bell, is there anything I can do to achieve this?

At 20yrs old and the relatively low cost of an all in one Alarm kit i think you really want to start investing in new and not dragging out the lifespan of the aged system....

Is the panel setting and unsetting as normal?
Do you mean a fuse within the bell unit or the bell fuse on the panel circuit board?

The output to bell will be DC not AC don't forget the supply is rectified after the transformer usually you can see the 4 diodes on the circuit board.... what i mean is is your tester set to DC and not AC by mistake.

At 20yrs old and the relatively low cost of an all in one Alarm kit i think you really want to start investing in new and not dragging out the lifespan of the aged system....

Is the panel setting and unsetting as normal?
Do you mean a fuse within the bell unit or the bell fuse on the panel circuit board?

The output to bell will be DC not AC don't forget the supply is rectified after the transformer usually you can see the 4 diodes on the circuit board.... what i mean is is your tester set to DC and not AC by mistake.

The panel is setting and unsettling ok.

the fuse at c.panel is ok

i realize the bell supply is Dc, and yes the tester is selected to DC.

Thanks for your interest.

Reply to Optima Alarm Help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net