Discuss Outbuilding on non RCD side of C/U? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its all down to economics
A ridiculous attempt at regulating domestic electrics in a market driven arena has resulted in Tom Dick and especially Harry becoming overnight pretend electricians signing up to the least costly player

The least costly player has no historic base or experience of the industry,it has had to recruit its team to meet the lowest cost demand
That team will also include inexperienced assessors gleamed from a pool of sparks where the skill level has been decimated since the introduction of that hatchet of the trade of electrician,Part P of the building regs

Its all down to economics
A ridiculous attempt at regulating domestic electrics in a market driven arena has resulted in Tom Dick and especially Harry becoming overnight pretend electricians signing up to the least costly player

The least costly player has no historic base or experience of the industry,it has had to recruit its team to meet the lowest cost demand
That team will also include inexperienced assessors gleamed from a pool of sparks where the skill level has been decimated since the introduction of that hatchet of the trade of electrician,Part P of the building regs

As a contrary opinion to that I can say that my stroma assessor was a time served electrician with many years experience and seemed to be a very knowledgeable fella.

As a contrary opinion to that I can say that my stroma assessor was a time served electrician with many years experience and seemed to be a very knowledgeable fella.

Andy,I don't doubt for a moment that they have assessors who are at the top of their game

That team will also include inexperienced assessors

It does seem to vary between assesors doesn't it. My last assesor was great & really did know his stuff, but the one before that started to get all confused (I saw it on his face) when I was explaining why I used an s type rcd to replace the main switch in an all rcbo board on a TT supply.

If running power to an outbuilding (usually a garage at the bottom of someones garden), I normally run it from the non RCD side of the C/U in the house and then put a 2 way RCD protected C/U in the garage. I was however, told that I can no longer do this as it must be connected to an RCD in the house C/U. I was also told that any outbuilding more than 20 metres away from a house must have it's own TT system?

OP, I would consider emailing your scheme's technical support, and seek clarification on this matter. I find emailing gets a more defined and considered response, than by speaking to an individual.

I'm with Elecsa, and quite often I've read & heard conflicting guidance on issues (nothing as profound as this mind), when watching their web broadcasts, and what is written in their 'Connections' publications. The last one was about upgrading bonding, it used to be it was okay to leave as is, if there was no sign of thermal damage. Then the mag' said, no it must be upgraded, then the dynamic duo said, it was ok to leave etc. :rolleyes:

OP, I would consider emailing your scheme's technical support, and seek clarification on this matter. I find emailing gets a more defined and considered response, than by speaking to an individual.

I'm with Elecsa, and quite often I've read & heard conflicting guidance on issues (nothing as profound as this mind), when watching their web broadcasts, and what is written in their 'Connections' publications. The last one was about upgrading bonding, it used to be it was okay to leave as is, if there was no sign of thermal damage. Then the mag' said, no it must be upgraded, then the dynamic duo said, it was ok to leave etc. :rolleyes:
Dynamic Duo One has to be TC who is the other?

It does seem to vary between assesors doesn't it. My last assesor was great & really did know his stuff, but the one before that started to get all confused (I saw it on his face) when I was explaining why I used an s type rcd to replace the main switch in an all rcbo board on a TT supply.
That's a bit concerning.

^^ so what did you say when he made his "claim"?

I explained why I did it the way I do, and he said it still had to be on an RCD in the house C/U. With regards a TT system being required if an outbuilding was more than 20 metres away from the house, I just said that I honestly wasn't aware of that.

I could have asked him to show both the above in the regs, but I just wanted to pass the assessment (which I did), and I admit that I did slightly doubt myself that he must be right as he seemed so confident.

I have had assessors before from another body who knew their stuff, so as already suggested some are clearly better than others and it's the luck of the draw.

I explained why I did it the way I do, and he said it still had to be on an RCD in the house C/U. With regards a TT system being required if an outbuilding was more than 20 metres away from the house, I just said that I honestly wasn't aware of that.

I could have asked him to show both the above in the regs, but I just wanted to pass the assessment (which I did), and I admit that I did slightly doubt myself that he must be right as he seemed so confident.

I have had assessors before from another body who knew their stuff, so as already suggested some are clearly better than others and it's the luck of the draw.

As suggested, email and get clarification.

Reply to Outbuilding on non RCD side of C/U? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net